Another Day in the Wilderness


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe
October 17th 2011
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Giraffe01 Giraffe01 Giraffe

The giraffe is about to drink.
Geo: -19.1504, 26.5759

We had an early start again this morning and were one of the first cars out the gate. I kept a look out for the dead baby elephant, but could not see it. I guess that it must have been eaten during the night. We drove straight to Guvalala Pan, as this was where all the action was late yesterday afternoon.

We stood underneath the platform as we viewed the animals. The early morning light was lovely as we watched a giraffe slowly bend over to drink. There were also some wildebeest grazing nearby. Zebras were drinking at the water's edge. In the middle of the pan there were three muddy hippos floating.

Some kudus appeared out of the bush. Then the elephants started to arrive as well as a herd of wildebeest. The zebras now started to walk away. Slowly more herds of elephants started appearing from the bush and they headed straight for the water. It was such a nice view from this hide. A couple of giraffe also started to head towards the waterhole. The area was starting to fill up with elephants, most of them were drinking and only a few swimming.

Just after
02 Bending Down02 Bending Down02 Bending Down

The giraffe bending down to drink from the pan.
8am we got in the car and continued our morning game drive. Along the way we stopped to look at male kudus and admired their long horns. At a very small waterhole there were many baboons sitting around. They are always interesting to watch with their comical ways. We saw many elephants drinking from the very small waterholes. Other elephant herds were under trees seeking shade from the hot sun. Just like the other waterholes, this one too had herd after herd coming to drink. From here we drove out of the park and to the Painted Dog Conservation centre.

It was a short drive and strange to be on a tar road and travelling at more than 40km's an hour. Just before the centre we spotted a couple of wild Ground Hornbills. Nice to see them in the wild – these strange, large birds. There was an information centre here. We spent some time looking at the exhibition. The highlights were that it was informative and air conditioned! We then went outside and saw a couple of the dogs that they have here, either injured or old.

Our next stop was the Southern Sun Safari Lodge. Here we were meeting
03 Grazing03 Grazing03 Grazing

Wildebeests grazing near the pan.
up again with Tony and Nicola. We all sat by the pool, enjoying cold drinks, toasted sandwiches and compared game viewing. Later on, we could not resist a swim in the pool – it was like heaven! After camping in such warm weather, we really appreciated the swimming pool.

At about half past three we left the lodge, drove back to Hwange National Park and went on an afternoon game drive. We didn't do a lot of driving. We directly drove to Guvalala Pan and sat in the hide. Along the way to the hide we had a few interesting sightings – a pair of Secretary Birds, a dazzle of zebras and a couple of ostriches.

In the hide we could see all the activity around the waterhole. There were elephants swimming, drinking, having dust baths, herds arriving and herds leaving. In the middle of the waterhole there were still the three muddy hippos floating about. Even after seeing so many elephants in the past few days, I still enjoyed watching them. It is such an amazing sight, how these many herds appear out of the dry bush and then disappear again. While driving around we saw hardly any elephants, only
04 Spot the Hippos04 Spot the Hippos04 Spot the Hippos

A couple of hippos were barely visible in the middle of the pan.
at waterholes.

A few zebras also appeared and waited for their turn to drink. For quite a while they just stood there, about 10 metres from the water and watched the elephants.

Then the action started between two male elephants. At this stage we were standing below the platform and they were about 20 metres away from us. The two elephants were standing head to head, their feet kicked up dust, trumpeting, one had his outstretched trunk against the head of the other as he used his body weight to push the other elephant. All the other elephants stepped back a bit from these two and continued drinking. The other elephant gave up and started to walk away.

A herd of dagga boys arrived and shared the waterhole with the elephants. The zebras were still standing back and waiting. As we watched all the animal activities we noticed that it was another beautiful sunset this evening.

Then finally, the zebras moved closer to the water and had a drink. Unfortunately it was now time for us to leave the hide and make our way back to camp. Tonight we were staying once again at Main Camp. We drove through the gate
05 Animals05 Animals05 Animals

Zebras by the water as a kudu runs to the pan.
just in time. For dinner tonight we were having a night off from making the fire and were eating at the restaurant.


Additional photos below
Photos: 83, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

06 Arriving06 Arriving
06 Arriving

A herd of elephants arriving at the pan.
07 Wildebeest07 Wildebeest
07 Wildebeest

This morning there are also wildebeest arriving for a drink.
08 Elephants08 Elephants
08 Elephants

A breeding herd of elephants arrived at the pan.
09 General Game 09 General Game
09 General Game

A herd of wildebeest walk along as some zebras stand around.
10 Drinking10 Drinking
10 Drinking

Elephants drinking water at the pan.
11 On the Move11 On the Move
11 On the Move

Wildebeest walking along.
12 In the Distance12 In the Distance
12 In the Distance

In the distance more elephants are visible.
13 Giraffe13 Giraffe
13 Giraffe

A giraffe making its way to the pan.
14 Elephants14 Elephants
14 Elephants

Elephants at the pan.
15 Getting Closer15 Getting Closer
15 Getting Closer

The giraffe is getting closer to the water.
16 Following16 Following
16 Following

The little elephant is following its mother.
17 Elephants17 Elephants
17 Elephants

More elephants approaching the area.
18 Nearly There18 Nearly There
18 Nearly There

The giraffe has almost made it to the pan.
19 Elephant Activity19 Elephant Activity
19 Elephant Activity

Elephants are walking and drinking.
20 Walking Past20 Walking Past
20 Walking Past

A couple of elephants walking past the pan.
21 Drinking21 Drinking
21 Drinking

The giraffe bending down to drink.


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb