Herd After Herd


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe
October 15th 2011
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Vulture01 Vulture01 Vulture

I think this is a White Backed Vulture.
Geo: -19.1504, 26.5759

This morning we choose to do a morning game drive. We didn't see much at all along the way. Our destination was Mandavu Dam. As we approached the dam, we could see many large crocodiles resting at the water's edge. They looked like they were waiting for breakfast to come to them. There was also a small breeding herd of elephants on the other side with a herd of impalas.

We drove around to the picnic site and spent some time here. As we had our morning coffee and biscuits we enjoyed the sightings. In the middle of the dam there were a couple of hippos floating about. While waiting for more animals to come to the dam, I spent some time watching the dassies. This dam was a very large one and had lots of water in it. I wondered if this at times was also very busy with elephants like Masuma Dam is.

On the other side of the dam there was a herd of impalas and an approaching herd of kudus. A hippo was then spotted on the other side walking towards the water where it then submerged itself. There were hippos in front of us
02 On a Branch02 On a Branch02 On a Branch

A Dassie on a branch.
that were being quite active, bobbing up and down in the water.

A little while later a dazzle of zebras came down and drank on the other side of the dam. Soon after, directly opposite us on the other side we spotted buffaloes. They were slowly walking towards the water. It was a huge herd and they kept on coming. We were amazed, as there were hundreds of buffaloes. We then noticed another group of buffaloes, probably split from the same herd. These ones created a dust storm as they walked. The buffaloes generally walked one behind the other and stood side by side as they drank. The two groups met up at the water's edge. There were so many of them. I wouldn't imagine any predators brave enough to attack them!

After drinking the herd slowly walked along the water's edge and went back into the bush. Once again the hippos in front of me had a little splash about, they were seeking attention from us! The buffaloes walked past the impalas and zebra and continued on, we slowly lost sight of the herd leaders. Walking amongst the buffaloes that were still to come down to drink was
03 Lots of Crocs03 Lots of Crocs03 Lots of Crocs

Lots of crocodiles on the edge of this dam.
a small herd of elephants.

We went for a little drive around a small part of the dam. From here we had a closer view of the large crocodiles that were basking in the sun. We drove behind a huge flock of guinea fowl that were running along the track. There were also good visibility of the remaining few buffaloes that were still to drink.

Our next stop was Sinamatella Camp Site. The main reason we came here was for a cold drink or two! The weather was so warm and our fridge could not quite keep up. The chalets here were very run down, which is such a waste of a good resource. The only facility still operating was the shop.

As it was getting even hotter now, we turned around and started to make our way back to Masuma Dam. Along the road there were no sightings for about an hour. A couple of giraffe were then spotted. They seemed to be agitated, all looking in one direction and far from relaxed. Paul and Neil thought that there must be a predator around due to their behaviour. So we slowly drove up and down the track, the four
04 Dam Visitors04 Dam Visitors04 Dam Visitors

A breeding herd of elephant drinking, impalas grazing and a Fish Eagle observing.
of us had our eyes peeled.

Then we spotted it! It was a leopard just by the side of the track. When we stopped the car it ran a little way into the bush. For a few minutes we lost visibility and then we saw it again. It was sitting in the shade of a tree. We watched it, hoping to see some action between it and the nearby giraffes. Somehow the giraffes did know that the leopard was here. It then got up and walked off into the bush and we were not able to relocate it.

About half an hour later we were back at Masuma Dam. Before having lunch we went to check what was happening at the waterhole. It didn't seem very busy with visitors, just a partly submerged hippo in the middle of the waterhole. Slowly the hippo turned around and was now facing us. It was very muddy. It continued slowly moving about. The hippo then slowly opened its mouth. The side profile we saw was pretty cool. We could see its few teeth, looking very sharp. It opened as wide as it could and then suddenly snapped its jaw shut. As this opening
05 Floating05 Floating05 Floating

A raft of hippos floating in the dam.
and closing occurred there was a bird about two metres in front of it that didn't even flinch!

It then got out of the water and onto an island. It then wandered about and had a drink. Five minutes after coming out of the water, it went back in and floated about. The bird then flew onto the hippo's back, but didn't stay here for long. As the hippo was now upside down, belly up! It was rolling around in the water, seemed to be having a fun time. This was its chance to have the waterhole to itself, until the herds arrived again. It was so cute to see the little, short legs splashing about. Then it was all over and time for our lunch and freshening up!

About an hour later we were back in the hide. It was one of the better places to be as it was shady! There was a buffalo sitting in the water, a breeding herd approaching the waterhole, zebra and baboons could be seen in the distance. The elephants had finished drinking and were now in the middle of the waterhole cooling down. Another herd of elephants was approaching and the first
06 Dassie06 Dassie06 Dassie

A dassie below us at the dam's hide.
herd were now walking out of the waterhole.

It was quite tiring and we did doze off during the afternoon in between the animal sightings. The next time that I looked out I saw a large herd of impalas drinking, a male kudu looking around and an elephant walking away. An hour and a half later when I was looking for animals, there was a large herd of buffaloes approaching the waterhole, a few baboons foraging in the distance, some grazing zebras and a bull elephant drinking.

The buffaloes walked to the edge of the waterhole and immediately started drinking. The elephant walked away and the hippo was still there floating. Soon after, once they had all drank, the buffaloes walked away and more elephants arrived. It was a small breeding herd and bull elephants. The breeding herd went to the waterhole to drink and the bull elephants came to drink the freshly pumped water from the trough.

Another herd of buffaloes also arrived. The breeding herd had now moved closer to us and were drinking the fresh water from the trough. Some of the elephants were splashing themselves with water. It was now about quarter past 4 and the
07 Antelopes07 Antelopes07 Antelopes

Kudus approaching the dam and impalas grazing.
waterhole was starting to dry up – it was possible to walk across it. The hippo had to move to deeper water. The water pump could not keep up with the demand. The buffalo and elephant herds were now walking away.

A herd of waterbuck were drinking from the now drying up waterhole. Half an hour later there were more arrivals – elephants of course! As well as some zebra and a couple of old male buffaloes. The elephants walked across the waterhole, which in some parts was quite shallow. They walked towards the freshly pumped water.

At about 6 we left the hide to go and prepare dinner. It was at 6pm that the gates were closed and it was only the attendant here as well as guests who had booked the site, all other visitors had to leave and go to their booked campsites. As we made the fire and prepared our dinner we could hear the elephants arriving and leaving the waterhole. There were too many elephants, not enough water and lots of noise as they trumpeted at each other!

Tonight was our last night here, tomorrow we were travelling on through the park. For a different experience,
08 An Eye Out08 An Eye Out08 An Eye Out

Hippos keeping an eye out on us.
the four of us are sleeping in the hide tonight. The hide is about 20 metres long and there was plenty of space for the four of us and the other guests that allowed us to stay here again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 79, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

09 Out of the Water09 Out of the Water
09 Out of the Water

A hippo out of the water.
10 Me10 Me
10 Me

I am standing with an elephant and buffalo skull with Mandavu dam behind me.
11 Dassies11 Dassies
11 Dassies

Some of the many dassies running around this hide.
12 Herd Approaching12 Herd Approaching
12 Herd Approaching

In the distance we spotted a huge of buffalo approaching the dam.
13 Getting Closer13 Getting Closer
13 Getting Closer

The herd getting closer to the dam.
14 At the Water's Edge14 At the Water's Edge
14 At the Water's Edge

The herd have now arrived at the water's edge.
15 Drinking15 Drinking
15 Drinking

The large herd of buffaloes are drinking water.
16 Lots of Them16 Lots of Them
16 Lots of Them

There were lots of buffaloes.
17 Another Herd17 Another Herd
17 Another Herd

This is the second herd that was approaching the dam.
18 Metres Apart18 Metres Apart
18 Metres Apart

There are about 100 metres between the two herds.
19 Getting Closer19 Getting Closer
19 Getting Closer

The second herd is getting closer to the dam.
20 Meeting20 Meeting
20 Meeting

The two herds are about to meet.
21 In a Line21 In a Line
21 In a Line

The buffaloes seem to walk in a line.


Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0999s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb