Last Day in the Wild


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe
May 24th 2013
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Scenery01 Scenery01 Scenery

The beautiful, picturesque scenery of the national park.
Geo: -15.9455, 29.3115

This morning we all went for a game drive. The first interesting sighting that we had was a pair of male impalas that were play fighting by hitting each other with their horns. They briefly stopped to look at us and then continued fighting. A little while later we got out of the car to go for a short walk around a little water pan that was full of water plants. I was a bit concerned that there could be hippos hiding in the water among the plants, so I frequently scanned the water and was on the look-out for a charging hippo. Luckily the only animals we saw was a family of ducks.

Continuing on we saw a lonely bull elephant that was not bothered by our presence. For the next hour we did not see anything really exciting.

We spent the rest of the morning and all afternoon chilling at the camp site. A couple of hippos here and there came out of the water to eat. In the middle of the afternoon we noticed a small breeding herd of elephants slowly approaching our camp site.

Francois and Paul decided that it would be a good idea to
02 Male Impalas02 Male Impalas02 Male Impalas

The male impalas are just about to start fighting.
climb a tree that they were walking towards. They got up the tree just in time. The elephants were not bothered by their close presence as the four of them walked by. They walked past our toilet and continued along the river eating as they went along.

A few moments later I saw a small herd of three elephants. They briefly walked past us and then off into the bush.

The first herd was now crossing the river. It was an amazing sight to see them, including the tiny one, to swim across the river. At one stage just the top of their heads was visible above the water. They got out on the island and walked along to the other side of it into the distance.

Tonight was a bit of a sad evening, as it was our last night in Mana Pools. Mother Nature was kind to us again and provided us with another beautiful as we discussed the last two weeks of our trip and made plans to return again one day.





Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

03 Fighting03 Fighting
03 Fighting

The two male impalas are about to start fighting.
05 Fighting05 Fighting
05 Fighting

The two male impalas are fighting.
06 Scenery06 Scenery
06 Scenery

The beautiful picturesque scenery of the national park.
07 Water07 Water
07 Water

A small pan of water that was covered with plants.
08 Scenery08 Scenery
08 Scenery

The beautiful picturesque scenery of the national park.
09 Reflection09 Reflection
09 Reflection

The reflection of a large tree on the plant covered pan.
10 Scenery10 Scenery
10 Scenery

The beautiful picturesque scenery of the national park.
11 Ducks11 Ducks
11 Ducks

A family of ducks wading in the water.
12 Bones12 Bones
12 Bones

The remains of an elephant.
13 Elephant13 Elephant
13 Elephant

One of the few animals we saw on the game drive.
14 Hippos14 Hippos
14 Hippos

A pod of hippos floating in the water in front of our camp site.
15 Out of the Water15 Out of the Water
15 Out of the Water

In the distance there is a hippo out of water.
16 Campsite16 Campsite
16 Campsite

Our tent - right by the river.
17 My Chair17 My Chair
17 My Chair

The is my chair - where I spent a lot of time chilling out.
18 Approaching Herd18 Approaching Herd
18 Approaching Herd

The breeding herd as they approach our camp site.
19 In the Tree19 In the Tree
19 In the Tree

Francois and Paul climbed the tree in the hope of getting some good photos.
20 Walking By20 Walking By
20 Walking By

One of the elephant's that walked by our camp site.
24 Walking Away24 Walking Away
24 Walking Away

The elephants walking away from us.
25 Walking Away25 Walking Away
25 Walking Away

The small herd walking away.


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb