And the Game Count Begins......


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe
October 11th 2011
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Giraffe01 Giraffe01 Giraffe

One of a journey of giraffe that we saw.
Geo: -19.1504, 26.5759

This morning we packed our bags with just what we would need for the next 24 hours. The tents were left set-up at the campsite. We left at about 10:30am in search of our game count spot. On the way we saw giraffe, a buffalo skull, warthogs, impalas, kudu and baboons. This park is so, so dry. I don't know how the animals survive here, especially since we have not seen much water at all. On the positive side, the rains are due here in about a month or so.

We got to our place, made ourselves comfortable and got ready to start counting from midday. The place we were given was on the top of a little hill overlooking a small creek. I think this will be a great place for us to game count.

Well, I was wrong. The only thing we saw were some warthogs just after 4pm. I was so bored and over it, as no much was happening and it was so hot in the sun. For dinner we made a little fire and cooked some food.

We were to take in turns counting during the night. There was a full moon, so should
02 Warthogs02 Warthogs02 Warthogs

Two warthogs running away from us.
any animals come by we would be able to see them. It was such a boring night and I do admit that I did not do my share of game counting during the night. Luckily the guys were more than happy to sit up for most of the night. The most exciting thing they saw were a few elephants in the distance. I generally had a good night's sleep in the car.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

03 Surprised03 Surprised
03 Surprised

Two kudu who seem surprised to see us.
04 View04 View
04 View

Part of the area where we counted animals.
05 View05 View
05 View

Another part of the area where we counted animals.
06 View06 View
06 View

Another part of the area where we counted animals.
07 View07 View
07 View

The view straight ahead of us.
08 Our Setup 08 Our Setup
08 Our Setup

Our setup for the game count.
09 First Sighting09 First Sighting
09 First Sighting

Our first sighting were a couple of warthogs.
10 Looking Hard10 Looking Hard
10 Looking Hard

Paul and Neil looking very hard for some animals to count.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb