Grease monkeys in the dust..


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe
July 31st 2012
Published: August 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Bush MechanicBush MechanicBush Mechanic

Happy mechanic or grease monkey after the vehicle started again
Some more photos and a couple of stories about our Zimbabwe trip in June this year.

Bush mechanics:

One of the vehicles broke down at Mana pools - in the middle of nowhere - the starter motor stopped working. Luckily we had a couple of knowledgable men in our group who put their heads together, my husband amongst them. They set to work, heads stuck into the engine, legs sticking out of the bottom of the car and bystanders giving advice. Soon it was dark and they were working with headlamps and torches, in the dust of the campsite. It is pitch black in the bush at night, no surrounding lights, so quite difficult to see and work in the dark. They dismantled what was necessary, fiddled, cleaned, tweaked here and there and managed to get a spark. Then they put it all back together again and the vehicle started. There were cheers throughout the whole campsite. The owner just managed to get to Harare the next day, with the engine running continuously, (about 350 km to Harare) and managed to have it repaired so he could continue his journey with us. If the vehicle couldn't start at Mana pools it would have been a major issue to tow it to Harare to have it repaired. Towing on a long stretch of gravel road, then uphill on a steep road, where too many heavy trucks and busses come speeding downhill only to end up in a wrecked heap halfway down or at the bottom, would not have been fun.



Baboon escapade:

When we arrived at one of the water holes in Hwange Game Reserve, we spotted a baboon who didn't look too good. He was possibly sick, or more than likely drunk from eating some fruit that was possibly fermented. Either way it was rather funny to watch. He drank some water, took a few staggering steps, then flopped down and took a rest. He then took a few more steps and proceeded to collapse again, rolling over, hugging his knee. So he continued, walking and lying down at intervals in a none too straight path to the next place where he could drink water in the prone position. We were in hysterics watching him move around. Eventually he disappeared in the distance.



Dust everywhere!



Visiting Zimbabwe in the
Hwange elephantsHwange elephantsHwange elephants

Weary elephant resting its limbs
dry season is better for getting from one place to another and to be able to see the animals. Travelling on the gravel roads we picked up quite a bit of dust. It got in everywhere! Our vehicle needed a good wash and clean after this trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Hwange elephantsHwange elephants
Hwange elephants

Baby elephant still enjoying its swim
Mana  PoolsMana  Pools
Mana Pools

Vehicle dwarfed by the Baobab - the bark eaten by the elephants
Mana  PoolsMana  Pools
Mana Pools

Makoro shining in the sunlight
NyangaNyanga
Nyanga

Trees in the eastern highlands of Zimbabwe
NyangaNyanga
Nyanga

Frost on our vehicle the last morning at Nyanga
ZimbabweZimbabwe
Zimbabwe

Public transport with vendors selling their goods to the passengers
HwangeHwange
Hwange

Drunk or ill?
ZimbabweZimbabwe
Zimbabwe

Dust on the outside of our vehicle
ZimbabweZimbabwe
Zimbabwe

Dust on the inside of our vehicle


Tot: 0.41s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 16; qc: 93; dbt: 0.116s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb