Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe
October 17th 2018
Published: October 18th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Today we headed to Zimbabwe. We left our motorhome in Botswana and went by 4x4 to the border. It took about a half hour. At the border we got our visas. The Brits paid $55 US and we had to pay $75 US ( Americans pay $30). Don’t know what Canada did that we have to pay more. Zimbabwe uses US currency. Once over the border it was about a hours drive in a motor coach. The town of Victoria Falls is touristy. We walked to the Falls and they are amazing. Niagara looks boring compared to them. There is about 15 viewpoint areas in the park and we spent a bit of time wandering to them all.

In the evening we went on a boat ride down the Zambezi River about 5 kilometres from the falls . Saw hippos and a gorgeous sunset.

We are staying at a hotel tonight and it is a treat to have a big bed and bathroom. In the toiletry basket were the usual items but they also had insect repellent lotion. First for me. Tells us we are in a malaria area. We have been taking out malaria pills and have not seen a lot of mosquitos( not like Manitoba) so far. I have been bitten a couple of times and of course the worry wart that I am I am sure I will get it.



Dinner last night Mark and I went to a dinner drum show. Had impala stew and other delicacy like Mapone worm which is really a caterpillar and a food staple in rural Zimbabwe. We all got to drum and it was great fun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb