Victoria Falls


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe » Victoria Falls
July 29th 2010
Published: July 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Victoria Falls


Victoria Falls are absolutely stunning. They are so huge with a massive volume of water cascading over such a long canyon edge.

We hired full length raincoats, as recommended by some people we'd met at Popa Falls, and were very glad we did. We visited from the Zimbabwe side and you walk for around 1200m along the opposite side of the canyon with these amazing falls oppposite you. As the wind changes direction you're alternately soaked and then in sunshine. We were lucky as for the dry season there was a lot of water (so we were told). It was the vastness of the falls that was so stunning, 100m drop for over a kilometer, then round the corner into Zambia (that we didn't visit).

Victoria Falls town is a very small place, completley designed around tourists, constant buzzing of micro-lights and the thunder of the falls as the background. One aspect that was particularly good for us was that we could afford to stay in a chalet, first night not in a tent for two weeks!

Walked over Victoria Falls bridge, built by men from the north of England in the early 1900s. You're able to cross into Zambia for a few metres, the border's half-way over the bridge. The view from the bridge was excellent as you had some distance and could really appreciate the magnitude of the falls.

Now in Botswana visiting Chobe National Park in the North east of the country.

Advertisement



30th July 2010

Read in amazement
Great to read. Passing on a hard copy to Nan.

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0927s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb