Zimbabwe - Lion Encounter


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe » Victoria Falls
February 20th 2010
Published: February 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Zimbabwe - Lion Encounter



ALERT



The ALERT {African Lion and Environmental Research Trust} Centre near Victoria Falls has been in operation since 2005. It is one of several in Africa, with another centre recently set up nearby in Zambia.
It is estimated that between 80%!a(MISSING)nd 90%!o(MISSING)f the lion population has been lost in the last 30 years. The aim of the ALERT project is breed lions, introduce them back into their natural environment, and protect them from the competition for land. The is a breading centre for the lions elsewhere in Zimbabwe with this centre, which forms part of the re-introduction process, near the tourist base of Victoria Falls.
Stage 1 of the four stage re-introduction program includes allowing the lions to walk with humans - we are told that this builds the lions’ confidence. It is also the ideal opportunity to generate income for the project and spread awareness by allowing tourists to do the walking of the lions.
The project does seem quite far-sighted and well-managed. The Zimbabwe government has no money and can not contribute to the project but it is still able to finance itself. The also use some of the funds generated to work with and compensate communities whose livestock is threatened by the lions. The centre also has a volunteer program. Like so many volunteer programs nowadays people pay for the privilege of volunteering (for a few weeks or a few months) and this is another way in which the project raises money.
The project has a website here
We learn quite a lot about the project and then spend about an hour walking the lions - there are four young lions at the centre. This gives lots of opportunities for us to be photographed while looking incredibly brave!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Confused LionConfused Lion
Confused Lion

It thinks it's a leopard


12th April 2010

how can the public be sure that the lions bred in that center are not for trophee hunting. there has been many warnings on the net on the proliferation of breeding centers whose ultimate objectives are to raise lions who end up being shot by hunters willing to pay top money for the opportunity to shoot a lion.
12th April 2010

My feeling was that this place was genuine but I know what you mean, Carmen. My previous experience was in East Africa where there isn't so much "hunting". But throughout Southern Africa there seemed to be so many small private game reserves and a lot of these so-called breeding centres. A quick search of the net will show the obscene amounts of money people are prepared to pay to shoot a lion.

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb