Hanging Around Victoria Falls


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe » Victoria Falls
October 19th 2009
Published: October 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Hanging Around Victoria Falls 50 secs

1 additional video(s) currently being processed
We started are 27 kms whitewater rafting adventure at the base of Victoria Falls.We started are 27 kms whitewater rafting adventure at the base of Victoria Falls.We started are 27 kms whitewater rafting adventure at the base of Victoria Falls.

Amazing being at the base of the falls, looking down the almost 1.8km gorge.
What a Rush! That sums up Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. Victoria Falls are the largest waterfalls in the world and one of the natural wonders of the world. The last 2.5 days has been spent viewing the rush of the falls and experiencing the rush of adrenaline from whitewater rafting and bungi jumping.

We arrived on October 16 in Victoria Falls, a small town just on the border of Zimbabwe and Zambia. Saturday was an incredible day of whitewater rafting down the raging Zambezi River. Whitewater rafting was something that I had no intention or interest in doing; however, since 13 others were rafting I felt the peer pressure to try it. I am thankful I did. We started at the base of the falls and rafted 27 km through 21 rapids, including the largest commercial rapid in the world. I didn't realize before I began that the Zambezi River is regarded as one of the best whitewater rafting rivers in the world. I can now understand why. From the adrenaline rush of going through massive rapids to the magical scenery of the canyon cliffs, the trip was more than I could have ever imagined.

We flipped the raft twice
Game on!Game on!Game on!

Shae's face (2nd from front in right of picture) tells it all. I am in the front of the raft on the left.
and I almost drowned after being caught in a whirlpool - It was Wet and Wild!!

Sunday the rush continued when I went to view the falls. I started by taking a helicopter ride over them to see their massiveness from the air. Right now the falls are their smallest as it is the height of the dry season. What hit me flying over them was that although they were huge now, you could see how massive they will be at the peak of the rainy season and why they are called the "Smoke that Thunders". After doing the helicopter ride I walked through the park for hours in awe of the massive amounts of water flowing over the cliff down into the gorge below. The sight, sounds, feel of the mist and smell of the water made you feel very peaceful.

The day ended with one more adrenaline rush as two others and myself jumped off the Zambezi Bridge that connects Zambia and Zimbabwe. It is a 111m jump off the bridge down into the canyon below above the raging Zambezi. It is one of the top bungee jumps in the world. That night I was flying high in Victoria Falls.

Tonight we said good-bye to 14 people who were either heading back home or continuing on a different route. The 9 of us continuing on to Cape Town will be joined by 13 new people. We all experienced a sense of sadness at the fact that we will be going our separate ways. We have made a lot of friends these last three weeks and experienced some unbelievable life experiences that will always keep the memories of our travels together alive.

Tomorrow we pack up and head towards Botswana to continue for 3 more weeks to Cape Town.





Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Almost going for a swim again.Almost going for a swim again.
Almost going for a swim again.

That's me on the right in the front of the raft, half over the side. Fortunately Jon, who was opposite me, reached over and helped me back in. Henri was not so fortunate. If you look really close you can see just his feet sticking up behind me.
Let it Ride!!Let it Ride!!
Let it Ride!!

I am somewhere under the water in front of the raft.
Victoria Falls from the helicopterVictoria Falls from the helicopter
Victoria Falls from the helicopter

Looking down the 1.7 kms gorge.


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb