A lion crosses the river (Conrad's Lions Pt 2)


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia
July 19th 2014
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -12.8546, 31.311

Back to the camp and fix our dinner for after the sundowner with the lions. As we head out we come across a nice size herd of buffalo moving across the GMA and then we come up on the kill and there are l3 lions there. One of the lions decides to head back into the park. She has to cross the water and in one place it was fairly deep and she is jumping and moving as fast as she can. Look behind her and there is a crocodile swimming toward her. No drama, thankfully!

We are watching the pride and Conrad explains that one of them is collared and this is why they know much about them. There is the very old female, Stumpy, so called because she is missing most of her tail. She is very thin and has to wait until the stronger lions are ready to share with her and the young.

Laura looks over to her left and there is another lion that is soon joined by two other. This lion also has a collar and one of the two that joined her is missing the end of her tail. Conrad says this is lion that Magoo talked about coming up on the lawn at the chalets while he was working.

On our way back to camp, we go through a nice mixed group of buffalo and elephants. One of the people with us on the "sundowner" evening was a lady by the name of Liz that has been coming to the Luangwa area for a long time. For her sundowner drink, well of course, a gin and tonic. Had her own covered glass with ice, gin and tonic!

Back to camp, get our pasta salad and head to the bar. Having a nice time visiting with Joel when the walkie talkie calls to "camp bar", "camp bar". Wanted to let them know there are lions on the way. Ovid shines his light and we can see hippo on one level and the eyes of the lions on the other. They never made it to the camp. Conrad said they were near his house for most of the night. What a day!!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb