Sundowner at Barefoot Camp


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia
July 23rd 2014
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -12.8546, 31.311

Another day but with some new adventures. Went on our regular walk and found out that Retha was going to the airport and we caught a ride with her. They are starting to work on the road closer to the airport. While we were driving out there, they were tearing up the road and it was hard to decide exactly where to be driving.

Got to the airport, changed money and then got to visit with Geoffrey from Flatdogs while we were waiting for Retha to finish her business. Got back on the road and it was amazing to see how much they had cleared on the road in the tine it took us to get things done.

Stopped at Mayana and got some frozen meats and spent most of the money we had just changed! Of course since we want kwacha, we can change some with people at the bar or with reception.

Went over to the fresh veggie market and bought some nice veggies. While fixing lunch Liz came by and invited us to a sundowner at her place in Barefoot Camp. We had met her when we went out with Conrad to see the lions that were near the bush camp.

Patrick and Verena also joined us at the sundowner. Liz is quite the character. She lives in Australia but spends a great deal of time in Africa living in Katete when she is here. She has been coming to South Luangwa since the l980's. It was interesting to hear her stories of what it was like in those early days. She has an old Land Rover that she had restored and "kitted" out to her liking.

Patrick and Verena are traveling in a l968 safari vehicle from Germany so they were interested in her vehicle as well. We all had gin and tonic for our first drink but then she offered me some "chateau cardboard" wine so could not resist!

Had a very nice evening and as we left Barefoot camp there was an active elephant in the area and we made it safely back to our side. Fun day all around.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb