We're Leaving Tomorrow!!!


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Lusaka » Kabwata
June 14th 2009
Published: June 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

In the last 24 hours we have been scrambling to get all the cure kits, books, shoes, and clothes in our groups vehicles to bring on the plane tomorrow (June 15, 09). Also, our group got a blessing from our church today, and we are so grateful to have such a supportive church and community. Our whole group is so excited... and a little nervous for our trip tomorrow, but we are confident to get through customs and to help the Zambians as much as we can. Goodbye until later, we will keep you posted.

-Evan


One of the biggest last minute challenges we encountered was figuring out a way to get all 38 boxes/bags of medical supplies, books, school supplies, shoes, and other supplies on the plane. We are each packing our personal items in our carry-on bags, and claiming two of the boxes as our checked luggage, but that still leaves 12 boxes which the airlines would normally make us pay extra baggage fees for. At $250 per extra bag, that's $3,000 we don't have or care to spend on bringing supplies over. So, with some research and some business connections, we are hoping to convince United to let us each check a third item free, or atleast for a reduced fee. Our biggest help will probably be through Renee, who works for United, and will be accompanying us down to the airport tomorrow on her day off (!!) to help us get all the supplies through check-in.
We are continually humbled by all of the community support that we have recieved and continue to recieve from people like Renee. This truly has become a community effort to make the trip possible.

Here's to hoping that all boxes are under the weight limit!

-Stephen


Advertisement



15th June 2009

Luggage and such
We are ready for the luggage and will have everything pre-cleared on this end. The Holy Spirit is definitely working hard on our behalf and all will be fine. Safe travels

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb