I presume...


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone
May 24th 2003
Published: May 24th 2003
Edit Blog Post

We got up and walked to the bridge at the border to be picked up by a shuttle from Jollyboys backpackers in Livingstone. We were able to get a free visa by getting a deal with the Zambian lodge - saving me $50 or so. On the way over the bridge we met a Japanese couple who were really travelling the world... they had stamps from all over the east of Europe, Iran and the middle east, India, South and Central America. They were taking two years and must have had quite a pace.
On the way over the bridge we saw the bungi jump - 111m into a full circular rainbow from the spray. It was too much for Kristen - she looked at me and asked if I wanted to do it so I said sure. We did a tandem jump (together) for the bargain price of $70. It was fun - especially the new experience of getting to watch the terror on someones face right next to you.
Livingstone was a great stop. The town had lots of life especially around the taxi rank in the middle of town. On the second day there we went to the Zambian side of Victoria Falls. This side was cool because you could hike right down to the boiling pot at the bottom and also walk across a bridge in the heavy spray to a small island. We could see a little more of the km long falls than from the Zim side because of the wind direction.
When we got back to Jollyboys and there was a free tour to a huge local market. On the way to the market we stopped so that a couple of Swedish girls could meet an Italian volunteer who was building a school and workshop for homeless children - which was cool. The market was huge with many different sections selling different types of things. The dried fish was pretty smelly and not my favorite part. Since then dried fish have been popping up all over the place like on buses - seems to have a good market in Southern Africa. Kristen looked around at the clothes which seem to be handmedowns from the goodwill stores in the US. There were some pretty high fashions around from the 80s - would be a good place to shop for some old styles coming back in.
The next day we chilled around town and then went to see the sunset over the Zambezi. We haven't seen nearly as many sunsets as in Asia since the sun is always setting under trees or mountains.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb