Off to Livingston in Zambia!


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone » Mukuni Village
October 17th 2012
Published: November 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We had a flight to Livingston, in Zambia, this morning. The food was actually good on the plane. We were met on arrival by John who gave us champaign as a congratulations for getting married... we felt a little guilty that none of the other passengers got any. We've been given complimentary champaign everywhere except the West Cliff in Johannesburg which is a little surprising since it was such a nice place.

Zambia was Southern Rhodesia until their independence in 1964, there are 73 languages, with English being the national language. Livingston's population is ~200k and the currency is the Kwacha $1=5,000ZMK and they have new notes coming out where they are dropping all of the zeros. Oct is the hottest month, June is their coldest. Like South Africa, all of the kids wear uniforms to school as it makes them all equal.

We arrived at the Royal Livingstone to some lovely iced tea and complimentary hand massages while we waited to check in. As this was happening some zebras walked right by on the hotel lawn! This place is truly spectacular, we will definitely come back on our next trip to Africa... yes, we are already talking about our next trip!

This evening we did the steam engine train safari which was amazing. Not only was everything about the train itself wonderful (the interior, the china, the drinks, the food, etc) but it was a unique way to see some animals. In addition, the train is apparently the big excitement for all of the families living near the tracks. They all came out to wave, smile, and say hello. It was so sweet how excited the kids would get when they caught your eye and smiled and waved, an amazing experience.







Our Guide Taking us to the Hotel



Boarding the Train



Everyone, especially the kids, get excited to see the train go by and came out to wave at us.




Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb