Murchisons Falls - Wow


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda
October 30th 2009
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

FallsFallsFalls

This is what the Nile looks like when it is forced down a 6mtr wide gap. Incredible and scary at the same time
Geo: 2.41079, 31.7148

We drove up to Murchison Falls which is a 6m wide gap that the Nile flows through. Unfortunately the North of Uganda is still not a safe happy place (borders Sudan and the Congo) so this is as far north as we were prepared to go. Interestingly the drive up was so quiet on the road that it was relaxing and unsettling at the same time.

The falls was as you would expect impressive, see pics' but it was interestingly the camp site that we will remember. We have got better at chasing off monkey packs intent on stealing anything edible. We have a stick ready to go and are on to them, this place however caught us off guard as we were the subject of wart hog attack. These guys managed to steal a loaf of rye bread. Now if it had been bananas or something easily replaceable I would not have been so annoyed but good bread is almost impossible to buy.

These two warthogs seemed to have a well planned strategy. The first one started chewing on the gas bottle hose, yes that did get our attention whilst the second larger on reached into the front of the
FallsFallsFalls

This is the head of the falls
car. Darren grabbed the monkey stick and the plastic chair and looked like a lion tamer in the circus. Trouble was the wart hog kind of gave him the look like are you serious dood. Not scared at all, very unsettling as these guys are wild animals. At this stage Darren throws the chair at them and starts yelling at me to cook dinner faster, hmmm!! That should work.

We read afterwards a warning that the wart hogs have an extremely good sense of smell and any food left in tents may result in your tent being ripped by them to find what ever you left in there!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

WarthogWarthog
Warthog

Humm what can i find in here
WarthogWarthog
Warthog

Still looking!!!
WarthogWarthog
Warthog

Warthog tactics.. one chews on the gas pipe as the other flanks us and grabs the bread. And no they are not intimidated by a steel pole or a camp chair!!
WarthogWarthog
Warthog

Oh how sweet and ugly we are
Dirty ShortyDirty Shorty
Dirty Shorty

Clay and torrential rain make for interesting tracks.
FallsFalls
Falls

view from the bottom
Nice PoseNice Pose
Nice Pose

Yes sir you can sit on this rock and have your photo taken. A little staged but sweet


1st November 2009

Strange similarity here. Looks like Darren.

Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb