Travel to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest via QE NP


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Western Region » Queen Elizabeth NP
July 10th 2012
Published: July 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today was an all day travel day to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, for Gorilla tracking tomorrow. Since the road to Bwindi passes through Queen Elizabeth NP, I ended up with a complementary game drive. Not much to see, since the lions and other animals are usually further in. But, I did see Elephants, large troops of Baboons, a few Uganda Kobs (an antelope that is a national symbol), a crested crane (the national bird), a snake (going too fast to be more specific), some colobus monkeys and lots of birds. The lions here are known for their tree climbing habit, just like the lions in Lake Manyara NP in Tanzania.

Left Kampala at 8:00 and arrived at Bwindi at 18:00 with only two small breaks - a very short lunch and the obligatory photo at the equator crossing sign. It was so empty at that point that nobody tried to fake the coreolis effect using a small jug of water with a hole in the bottom.

The driving was pretty uneventful, but a couple of articulated semi-trailers had flipped on their side because they had driven off the side of the road to make way for an overtaking vehicle. Yes, the road side has no "shoulder" and it is a pretty sharp drop.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb