Gorillas - and snaring


Advertisement
Published: December 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ten days ago, guides in the Mgahinga Gorilla National Park came across a two year old infant gorilla with a snare around its neck. Vetenarians were called in immediately, however to date, they have been
unsuccessful in darting and helping the infant.
The problem is two fold - the first time the vets attempted to dart the infant, it was in the thick bamboo typical of this area. They missed and the silverback, head of the Nyakagazi gorilla group became aggitated. From then on, the silverback has been overly protective of his infant making it difficult for the vets to remove the snare.
Vest have identified that the wire is fairly loose around the gorillas neck, enabling him to continue eating.

Unfortunately, living around Mgahinga N.P. are just too many people. The local communities still lay snares in the forest to catch other forest dwellers such as duiker, bushbuck, giant forest hogs and buffalo. They dont realize that mountain gorillas, the countries most valuable assets share the same forests and cannot see the snares which are set to trap animals. Whether villagers are hunting for local consumption or the terrible bush meet trade, snaring is a very cruel and slow death.

The UWA guides are monitoring the situation and gorilla infant. Visitors will continue to view this group and in so doing, the silverback will become relaxed and wont know the difference between a camera and dart gun! Once he has become more stable, vets will once again attempt to dart the infant.

With approximately 750 wild mountain gorillas left in this tiny pocket of the world, the survival of each and every individual is important.
Mountain gorillas survive in Uganda's Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Mgahinga Gorilla National Park, the Virunga Mountains of Rwanda and the DRC.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



9th December 2010

Ooty Resorts, ooty homestay, Coonoor resorts, Coonoor homestay.
Good post .. I like this very much, very useful for tourism.. if you have a little time, you can visit my website.. Welcome to stay in Ooty Resort at the Great grandfather’s Ooty home stay nestled in the Niligiri Hill Coonoor Resort in of south India.Read More.. Ooty Resort thanks for sharing ..

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb