Finally in Entebbe


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Eastern Region
August 6th 2018
Published: August 6th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Okay so we made it. Qatar were are a great airline but the 17.5 hour flight Auckland to Doha was just a bit too much (for me especially). Just a tiny bit of drama when I got sick 10 hours in -used up many a sick bag and held up the queue in the loo several times. As a result the airline staff requested a check up by the medics on arrival. by that time my stomach was empty and all other vitals were fine such as heart rate, temperature etc. However what wasn't aware of was that there was a note on my transfer flight and we got to the boarding gate and they held us up not convinced I was okay to fly. They called the medical centre who cleared me..Phew.. Must say the medical facilities are Doha are second to none.. all paid for care of Qatar Airlines as far as I know! Spent only a few hours in a transit hotel but got some sleep and as it was outside of the airport a glimpse at the amazing city.

We are now into our second night in Entebbe and have all but shaken the jet lag. Today was spent changing USD to Ugandan Shillings. We are now multi millionaires with over 2million shilling in our wallet. Given $40,000 is approx USD10 it's been hard getting our head around the exchange rate and wads of cash bulging in our pockets. Tony insulted our guide at the Botanical Gardens by trying to give him 2000 shillings which is only a few cents!

We are being well looked after by the team at Yala Safaris. Met at the airport and taken to the garden and for a quick drive around town which is shabby to say the least. Downtown had some amazing stalls and lots of colour but didn't look like an area a white tourist would wander around on our own and when I suggested we might pop back this afternoon for a look on our own, our guide advised against it. Instead we booked a sunset trip on Lake Victoria. The hotel we are in is right on the lake edge. It's a massive body of water. Largest in Africa and 2nd only to Lake Superior in Canada.

I've posted some pics of the Gardens and the Lake trip here..

Tomorrow we are being picked up by our guide and will travel up to Murchison Falls via Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary on what is really the start of our tour so really looking forward to that.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb