Raft the Nile - Uganda


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Eastern Region » Jinja
October 7th 2008
Published: December 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We woke up today in our chalet with a balcony overlooking the Nile (we upgraded because we got to Jinja late the night before). Up later than usual as the rafting leaves from the camp!! We had our briefing and our group decided to go 'crazy' down the river (nick a little more keen than me)we picked our guide and off we went. After a few practice in and out of the raft we tackled our first rapid and we all got through without any dramas. Marcus our guide explained the next few rapids which were much bigger, as soon as we went through the first one we lost 2 people!! Next up was Bujagali falls grade 5 we were told if we got through 4 waves we would be OK, we lost count and all of us were out of the boat some trapped underneath for what felt like an age. After pulling each other back in the raft a few of us were shaken up but no real damage!!! The next few went without incident then came the next waterfall we discussed where we were going to go (like we had any control) and our guide told us about a slightly different route after the waterfall down a different rapid he called chopsui. We were all game and after watching the other group miss the waterfall off we went. We got through the waterfall then had to paddle really hard to get the the next rapid we made it and it was a really good fun. We stopped for lunch which was a welcome change from truck food then had to tackle the last 4 rapids. They were all pretty big but somehow we managed to flip on the smallest (our guides little joke!!). Finally we went to the 'bad place' it was so bad we had to get out and walk around most of it. We got in paddled hard and threw alway our paddles when Marcus yelled get down, one of our team got rid of there paddle a bit too early.....

Out of the water ,up the hill and to the waiting cold beer, everytime you finished one you got a new one which resulted in some very drunk people and a national anthem singing competition against the Australians. back to the campsite straight to the bar, drinking, dancing and bar dancing sore heards tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0799s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb