Cheeky chimps


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Entebbe
June 19th 2009
Published: August 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

023023023

A toilet break with a view
We leave Kenya and head north into Uganda. We pass straight through the capital, Kampala, and head to Entebbe, on the shores of Lake Victoria, Africa’s largest body of water. Heading out onto the lake is just like being at sea - there’s no chance of seeing the distant shore, and it takes us over an hour to reach Ngamba Island, just a short distance from Entebbe, where we visit the chimpanzee sanctuary.

As everyone is building up to the gorilla trek in a few days time, the chimps are seen as a practice run, but they’re obviously entirely different creatures and the experience turns out to be very different. We view the chimps from a high platform behind a wire fence, as the keepers lure them out of the untamed forest to feed. Comedy noises and poses abound as the chimps jostle for food and do their best to catch the tomatoes and avocados thrown at them.

On the way back across the lake, we all dive in for a swim on (or at least near... our driver didn’t seem to be that exact) the equator, then head back to camp. After leaving Entebbe, we drive across the
082082082

Lake Victoria
equator to Kabale at the northwestern edge of Uganda, stopping off for the ubiquitous water down a plug-hole demonstration, and playing plenty of cards on the long, bumpy drive.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

021021
021

A cheeky chimp
022022
022

An even cheekier chimp
020020
020

Clouds over Lake Victoria


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb