International Women’s Day


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Entebbe
March 8th 2023
Published: March 13th 2023
Edit Blog Post

March 8th, International Women’s Day is a public holiday in Uganda. RWO took the day to celebrate the accomplishments of the women they support.

Last year when I joined RWO they had their hairdressing class taking place and I started their tailoring class. Each course takes 3 - 6 months to complete. As part of the financial literacy courses I taught we discussed saving for specific goals. At the completion of courses the district has a certification test. While attending the courses the women saved the money required for the exam. I paid for materials and the bribes required to get the exams scheduled.

We learned in February that 9 ladies passed the tailoring exam and 12 ladies passed the hair dressing exam many with A+ results. RWO decided to use IWD day to commemorate their achievements. But we also know this is just the beginning for them, their children, and family. Many have already started small businesses. While I am here I will spend time with the women for business training. Several need help with improving their bookkeeping skills, others need to find their competitive advantage to name a few topics.

We had the local (female) minister of parliament, the Mayor, the King of the local Kingdom and police chief join among others. This was a great reminder to these officials of the impact RWO has in the local communities.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



13th March 2023

Int Womens Day-Great celebration.
Thank you for sharing these amazing women

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb