Making The Summit


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania
February 18th 2011
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -2.98967, 37.1173

The weather wasn't doing us any favours although the worst of the wind and rain was at night- we learned later on that we were seeing the early effects of Cyclone Bingiza which was off the coast but heading for land just south of us. On Day 6 we arrived at the final pre-summit camp and after a short rest we started our summit climb at 11:30pm (the theory around climbing at night is that we would arrive at the false peak of Stella in time for a brilliant African sunrise, and the real peak of Uhuru would offer up clear, 360 degree views of the African plains). Unfortunately for us, the worst of Cyclone Bingiza hit just after we started our final climb- we were initially drenched with rain, hail, and wet snow (why didn't we buy those space-age waterproof super-warm coats??) and then the temperature dropped dramatically (-25 at the peak) and froze everything the storm had just soaked. Gail force winds, blizzard, reduced visibility, and endless snowfall just added to the joy.

After 8+ hours, and as we neared the top, DH was completely spent and really starting the feel the effects of high altitude (balance and delusions) but through some combination of sheer determination as well as mental and physical strength she was able to reach the summit and drag me with her. Sam was the only other member of our group able to make it to the top- very few people made the summit on that eventful night. There was no sunrise or sweeping views of Africa to be had. A couple of quick, shaky photos at the signpost and we started the race back down.

We were over the moon to have reached the summit after so much effort but this was tempered greatly by the number of people we saw with frost bite, extreme burns, snow-blindness (one porter was completely blind and helpless on the mountain) and various other injuries. We've also heard that 4 people died on the mountain that night- the guides all indicated that they had never seen conditions like that on Kilimanjaro (and were ill-prepared to respond properly).

It may have been bad luck or something more meaningful that put us on a collision course with a cyclone while at the top of the highest mountain in Africa, but it's not hard to see that most climbs up Kilimanjaro are easy to recommend to others. There's a high degree of personal satisfaction in overcoming the physical and mental challenge of climbing Kili and the mountain itself is as beautiful as it is spectacular. The comradery and friendship offered by others we shared the climb with will be long-lasting.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



7th November 2013

Eak is right!

Tot: 0.314s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb