June 5


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania
June 5th 2010
Published: June 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

6-5
Clinic is open until noon. It was painfully slow until about 11 and just when I was ready to give up and leave we had a rush. They carried in an elderly man who saw Dr. Bon. We had a woman who was brought in by her husband and sister who was very weak. They said she had been having fevers for 2 weeks and one week ago she lost vision and hearing. She was very very ill. She was so dehydrated she hadn’t been able to breast feed her 2 month old for several days. All we could get in her was a butterfly. We got some blood for a malaria test and the IV did drip but very slowly. We wouldn’t have been able to treat her as you need to run in 250cc of fluid and then add the Quinine to the IV. We transferred her out to a hospital. I am assuming she won’t survive.
After clinic we hired two taxis to take 9 of us to Mwanza to shop. Mirinda took us to a place for lunch which was like a business hotel. I had Tilapia which is common here out of lake Victoria. I had a big pile of mashed potatoes with it and a cold Pepsi. We then walked to a store where I bought a hand made sun dress. She wanted 17000 TSH for it but I talked her down to 13000 TSH. That converts to about $11.
We then walked through the Maassai market. We bought some bracelets and I got a sword for Will. They took the handle off so we could get it on the plane. It still won’t fit in my bag so I will have to put it into someone elses bag. We walked on and ran into a market under a big rook that was like in Indiana Jones movies. I bought a carved gourd for 3000 TSH so like $2.50. It was closing or we would have spent hours there. We sat and had a Coke while we waited for our taxi. Got back after dark and thought we would be in trouble but so far so good.
Went to Lucys for dinner. The usual. Rice, beans, spinach, pineapple. The other group had been drinking since around 2pm and were going to have toga party. Dana, Jen, Bridgette, Abby and I snuggled into a bottom bunk and watched part of Avatar until 10:45. The others partied until around midnight.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb