Marangu Water Falls, and second week of school.


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania
October 31st 2008
Published: October 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

This past Wednesday, The whole group went to the base of Kili to do a number of things. First we visited a Chagga tribe, who are known for their metal works. Ax heads, cow bell etc.... They show us how to make the fire to heat the metal enough to pound ans shape it. Then they let us help. So I got to use a billow to heat the fire, and used a giant sledge hammer to shape and ax head. It is a lot harder than you would think to shape and ax head...you need to be very precise. Then, we ventured into the woods to visit a really old neighboorhood, which is home to a Chagga cave from the 1800's. The cave was used to hide away from rival tribes, and to hide from Europeans who were seeking slaves. The cave was very small, dark and cold, at first I didnt want to go down becasxue sometimes I feel claustrophopic, but when else am I going to have that oppurtunity? WE got dirty and saw a few bats but it was really cool. Then we drove over to this really ethinc market where they sold fruits vvegitables, meats, clothing and everything else under the sun. It was hectic and intimidating, but you get used to it. After this we were brought to a n amazing water fall, with fresh spring water of the mountain. Got some awesom pictures and even got to swim; cold but extremely refreshing.

This week at scholl got exponentially frustrating and exhausting becasue of one particular student who just loves to be a pain. He tears things down off of shelves, and eats eveerything. So it kind of became my personal job to keep him from disrupting the class. and oh yeah he bites too. hahah.. .I am learning a lot, and the best lesson is patience. We are still teaching basic arithmetic, and proper pronunciation of words, then i am usually head of sport time or recess. We play soccer, running, frisbee, catch (with the one tennnis ball they have) and jump rope. Today i went on my second home visit, but to the same house. It went a lot better then last time because this time all of the kids were there. I didnt think to bring any materials, so I had to get really creative, usde a sticck to write on the ground, and make a basket ball hope out og a gallon jug. The kids loved it. It was sad to leave the house becasue they were having so much fun, but oh well. I also gave one of the kids a pair of flip flops so h e could come to school...up until now he wasnt coming becasue he had no shoes, and his feet were all messed up. So hopefully he will benifit greatly.


Thats all for now....
Sorry for the typos.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb