Day 11/12 - Zanzibar


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar
October 29th 2015
Published: November 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We opted for relaxation to close out our trip. Our trip had been full of activities and all we really wanted to do was to chill. Typically not doing anything isn't something I can handle. But after our very busy 10 day safari, I welcomed the relaxation.

The resort felt pretty empty. There were other people (mostly couples) but we had more conversations with the staff than anybody else, and those were still pretty brief. We did talk to a nice young Spanish couple who were also on their honeymoon. We compared notes on our trips. They had spent all of their time in Tanzania and were quite disappointed with the wildlife they saw on their safaris. Specifically they didn't see much on their trip to Serengeti. This was a relief for me. Ever since all of the issues with our tour company came up I couldn't help but think our tour company fleeced us by advising us to skip the Serengeti. Fortunately this was the one spot our tour company was honest.

An interesting thing about where we stayed was the massive difference between high tide and low tide. Yesterday when we arrived it was high tide and the waves were basically crashing on our hotel's beach. In low tide the ocean recedes by about a mile or more. That helps explain why I was able to swim out reasonably far the day before and the ocean was only 8 feet deep. There is an enormous sand bar all along the coast.

The locals use these tides to their advantage. They set up a series of stakes and twine that trap seaweed as the tides flow in and out. During low tide the beaches are covered with women collecting seaweed that they trade at the local markets.

While the women are collecting seaweed the kids are collecting tiny clams. As a kid I remember digging in the sand for these dime sized clams for fun while vacationing in the Outer Banks. These kids are collecting them for food. Instead of being in school they are gathering buckets full of clams to feed their families. Sarah became sad when she learned this and I have to agree, it is sad. As a kid, I got to play. These kids as young as 2 and 3 are outside working.

Trips to developing countries can be tough. Here we are, a very happily married couple enjoying our honeymoon on this impeccable private beach with $5 drinks in our hands. And there, 2 feet off the private beach, are a group of 5 year old kids collecting baby clams to survive. #perspective

Overall, most of the time in Zanzibar we spent rotating between swimming in the hotel pool, relaxing by the beach, playing cards, taking walks, eating and napping. It was a refreshing way to end a great adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0749s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb