Spice Island part 2


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar » Jambiani
October 2nd 2013
Published: October 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Zanibar Beach Resort part 2
Nothing exciting today, just relaxation. Sailed on a local dhow-hand carved wooden boat lashed together with rope. Exciting ride with stiff breeze. Mark , I think this is the perfect sailboat for you and Sheri. Low maintenance with a gallon jug cut in half for a bilge pump. No worries about life jackets- just swim to shore if you capsize. Would have snorkeled but water too rough. Swam in Indian Ocean for first time- very warm. Walked beach for a few miles and spent a lot of time talking to locals. They struggle to survive when tourist season is low as it is now. Many make a living spearing fish but hotels are not buying due to low census. Women gather and sell seaweed. All love to speak with Americans as few visit here, mostly Germans, with some Australians and Italians. Most Europeans appear to be quite cheap and avoid tipping staff. Staff loves us as dollar bills flow freely. Linda supporting economy with multiple purchases.... We are sad to leave tomorrow as this has been a great place to visit. Tomorrow a long travel day with shuttle to Stone Town, short flight to Dar El Salaam, then longer flights to Joberg and finally Cape Town. Hopefully hotel shuttle is at airport as we don't arrive until 1040 pm. We will miss Steve and Suzanne in Joberg airport by only a couple of hours as they arrive tomorrow just before us. We will meet up with them in the Winelands of South Africa in about a week. It will be good to finally get some good wine.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



3rd October 2013

Is it all Inclusive?
Hey great to see you having fun at the beach. It is a long way from the beach here, in fact there was a small tornado at the Boeing Fredrickson site. Needless to say the weather is great here. Those boats look like something Tom Hanks would use in cast away. Just got off the phone with grandpa and he is looking forward to seeing all the pictures so keep taking them. Post again soon.

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb