Fires and Trumpets


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar » Bwejuu
December 31st 2006
Published: January 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Beach BullBeach BullBeach Bull

Cows relaxing on the beach, Bwejuu, Zanzibar, Tanzania. Copyright Andyt Bodycombe 2007

New Years in Paje and Bwejuu


Hop in a dallah dallah and head to the beach again - Paje here we come. Squeezed into the back of a Zanzibari dallah dallah surounded by deisel containers, bags of coconut husk and bananas is THE way to travel. It's cheap and very fast and you get to meet the people of Zanzibar (OK, we were trying to make up for splashing out on taxis to / from Matemwe).

En route we discovered that the Seven Seas wasn't in Paje but was actually in Bwejuu, a small village about half an hour's walk up the beach. We were dropped off at the side of the road and weaved our way between more coral rag buildings and found a deserted Seven Seas, it's optimistically dug swimming pool unfinished and unfilled. We were the only guests in this characterless group of bungalows that had obviouslky seen better days. Still, everywhere else was fully booked, the guy was friendly andf keen to please and we were right next door to Mustapha's Place - a Rasta run place with a laid back bar and a cool fire pit.

Met up with some cool people who live
Beach BumBeach BumBeach Bum

Andy around New Year. Paje, Zanzibar, Tanzania. Photo courtesy of Katherine Hayward !
just around the corner from us in London and had the most amazing New Year. Midnight saw us all dancing round a fire on the beach near Paje, accompanied by the most amazing local group of musicians - a BIG and fast tempo bass drum, a pair of cymbals, a djembe and two amazing trumpeters playing mexican style melodies.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Palm LightPalm Light
Palm Light

Coastal coconut palms cast their shadows across the beach at Bwejuu, Zanzibar, Tanzania. Copyright Andy Bodycombe 2007
Keeping FitKeeping Fit
Keeping Fit

Andy playing in the sand on the East coast of Zanzibar, Tanzania.


Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 82; dbt: 0.0918s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb