News from Tanzania


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » West » Mbeya
August 8th 2008
Published: August 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

ear Readers of the Banks' Blog, We have done so much in this week while shadowing Nancy & Mike. Shadowing their daily activities has been an amazing snapshot of what is in store for us at our site. They are busy with the daily chores: hand-washing laundry, sweeping twice a day, toting water, walking into the village for fresh food, and dish washing in cold water. Once you can get beyond the chores, there are officials to meet & greet, villagers who want to have Mike check on the internet to see if their son got into college, a resume to write for a primary school teacher, photos to take of a community theater rehearsal (in our honor), taking material to Bibi's who are raising $ for orphans' tuition by making dolls, a conversation on needs at the hospital, a grant request, and lots of visitors. They are so integrated into their community and they are much in demand for their skill and help in solving problems. We have attended a funeral, visited a sick Mama whose brother they knew, had the hardware store man treat us to a soda because Mike is a valued customer, bought stale bread as the new delivery hadn't arrived, and... We have also enjoyed seeing a preschool with happy children who didn't know they were suppose to have furniture or playground equipment; I was able to teach them a couple of songs. Dave watched a pharmacy tech dispense HIV/AIDS meds with care & consulting, but no computer or even pill counter. These villagers go everywhere on foot and bikes. There are no cars except a couple of official cars, a few pikipiki (motor bikes), and an occasional delivery truck coming from the main highway. If something must be delivered, it is done on the back of a bike. We've seen lumber, bricks, beer, water, mattresses, etc. all loaded onto a bike. They love to stop and greet each other and us and greetings here are ever so important. It is a very polite and caring attitude that these Tanzanians have and we consider ourselves lucky to be a part of it. It is 83 degrees on a sunny, winter afternoon with a breeze blowing. Clothes dry very quickly! We are enjoying some American-style food with our hosts depending on what is available. Had impala steaks for the first time, however, and must say they were quite tasty. It's time to...well, I don't know what, but there is always a surprise with a "Hodi Hodi" at the door; to which we always say "karibo" (welcome). thank you for reading this...more will follow when possible. We really do miss everyone and hope you are all well. love, Dave & Wendy.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb