Tancan 2013 Medical Mission


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » South » Songea
August 29th 2013
Published: November 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Thursday, August 29th, 2013



Walking tour and meeting the Maasai….







Today Renata, Viola, Leo, Joanne and I went on a walking tour early in the morning with Eddie and a Maasai through the National Reserve. We saw animals in the distance and learned about the trees and animal footprints.







We saw a baobab tree that was used as a hideout for poachers to hunt for animals. The gun the Maasai warrior was carrying was not for animals but for poachers. Poachers will kill humans if they are seen in order to protect themselves. Luckily, we did not see any poachers.







Eddie gave us the fruit of the baobab tree to taste. It was overripe and tasted powdery and sour. The Tanzanian people make a drink out of the fruit juices. The baobab fruit is known to be rich in vitamins and minerals.







We came across feathers on the way, and collected them for Ester who is going to make flower bouquets with them when she returns home.







After a relaxing walk and lunch the majority of the Tancan group headed off to a Maasai home. One of the Maasai warriors who were looking after us (security) took us to his home. He only sees his wife a few times a month and spends the majority of his time at the lodge. We saw the inside of his home which was neat and learned that it was custom for the Maasai women to build homes.







Afterwards, the Maasai women shyly perform some cultural dances and presented their beaded jewellery. Renata and I went on a little shopping spree and bought lots of jewellery to bring back home for our cousins and friends.







Then it was time to head on back, for dinner and our last official good night sleep in Tanzanian. Tomorrow will be a long journey to Dar Saleem airport, and onward home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 54; dbt: 0.086s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb