Tancan 2013 Medical Mission


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » South » Songea
August 25th 2013
Published: November 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Sunday August 25th, 2013



Mass, school blessing, sponsor child visits and Canada vs. Tanzania basketball game……







Today was officially our last day in Mbangamao. At mass, we were greeted by the bishop and the priests in the region (Father Varghese, Father Matthew, Father Pachai, Father Simon). The church was decorated with streamers, for the bishops welcome. It looked very festive. After the mass which was spoken in Swahili, the bishop, members of the congregation, and the Canadian team headed back to the school where the bishop gave a blessing on the newly built De Paul Secondary School library and computer lab. The computer lab will not only provide educational resources to De Paul Secondary school students but also the government students in the community. It is a great tool to provide students with the education they need to succeed.







After the school blessing, a group of us headed off to sponsor child visits while the rest of the Tancan 2013 team joined the Canada vs Tanzania basketball game. Renata and I headed off to visit the sponsor children homes, because we were not able to visit the home of our Mom’s sponsor child Taitus. We met a wonderful group of children whom decided to follow us on our journey to each of the sponsor children’s homes.







I met this beautiful darling girl named Janet. She was so shy; I had to ask of her sister her name. The children were so enthusiastic about getting their picture taken. They loved to crouch around to get their faces in the picture.







We visited Joanne’s sponsor child who is studying at De Paul Secondary school. We also visited two of Ester’s sponsor children homes and one of Susan’s sponsor children home. Susan received a chicken from her sponsor child’s family while ester received a chicken and a goat. Since, we are not able to bring them home they gave the chicken and goat to other members of the community. It is rude to refuse a gift, even if you are not able to take it.







We said goodbye to all the children and their smiling faces. When, we reached to school, we learned that the Canadian team lost in brilliant fashion. In other words we got destroyed by the secondary school Tanzanian students in basketball.







We ended the night with dinner and a bonfire roasting marshmallows at the rectory. Father Varghese and the other Vincentians gave each of us a departing gift (a wood carving, chai bora tea and coffee). We were all grateful and touched.







Tomorrow we head off to Iringa, where we will be spending the next couple of days on safari at Ruaha National Park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0809s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb