Tancan 2013 Medical Mission


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » South » Songea
August 15th 2013
Published: November 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Thursday, August 15th, 2013



Things are starting to roll…







Songea Clinic Day 2: Today went a lot smoother than the first day of clinic. We started the clinic on time and were able to end on time. In total we assessed and educated 302 children today. It was a sadder note for the HIV briefing and testing team. There were a lot more positive HIV cases today than the day before. We had about 15 positive cases of HIV today. Suzanne said that the children would be referred to the hospital and would start anti-retroviral treatment if they were below a certain T cell count.







There was one case where a teenage girl tested positive for HIV. She was very upset. Sister Mary Grace and Adamu were very empathetic and compassionate to her situation and were comforting her. Today, being diagnosed with HIV is not a death sentence. Individuals can live a long normal life with HIV if they detect it early and receive the proper treatment.







After the emotional day, we headed back to the Top One Inn, where the Tancan 2013 team prepared gift bags for our Tanzanian volunteers, to thank them for their dedication and help on the mission.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0832s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb