Tancan 2013 Medical Mission


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » South » Songea
August 12th 2013
Published: November 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Monday August 12th, 2013



The Wheels on the bus go round and round …..



Today we will be on the road, for a 16 hour bus ride from Dar Saleem to our first site in Neema and St. Norbert’s clinic, in the region of Bobambili, Songea. Wow!!! That’s long. However, with the lack of sleep in Dar Saleem and the fact that Tanzania is 7 hours ahead of Toronto, I slept most of the way.





On the way the group stopped in Morogoro, where the Vincentian seminarians treated us to breakfast. I got my first taste of ginger beer, which was delicious. We met a few local priests, and learned that the seminary in Morogoro is where many of the seminarians in Africa receive their education into priesthood.





We were then on the road again. We drove through Mikumi National Park en route from Morogoro to Songea and got our first glimpse of baboons, zebras and giraffes. We also got our first taste of chicken and corn Tanzanian style, courtesy of Suzanne, the international manager. The chicken was saucy and delicious but the corn was barbequed and dried out, and tasted sort of like popcorn kernels. It tasted nothing like the corn back home; but it was a great experience tasting the local cuisine.





When we finally reached our accommodations, the Top One Inn, it was 9:30 p.m. Renata and I were lucky to each get a room with a western toilet (not a hole in the ground), which made it a lot easier to go to the washroom. We ate a quick dinner and then headed off to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb