Big cat diaries, part 1


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Serengeti National Park
July 7th 2009
Published: August 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

026026026

Our first, fleeting glimpse of a leopard
After the mountain gorillas, the Serengeti National Park and Ngorogoro Crater Conservation Area are the highlight of our trip, and we’re all hugely excited as we head out from Arusha in jeeps, leaving Hyena behind for a few days. We drive up and along the crater rim before descending onto the vast Serengeti plain - a truly awesome place, barren and dry.

Now that we’ve seen all the prey, our focus at the Serengeti is the predators. We instruct our driver and guide, Julius, that we only want to stop for elephant, lions, cheetah and leopards. We’ve been told that leopards are rare and difficult to spot (no pun intended!), but pretty soon we pull up along 15 or so other jeeps all staring intently at a tree... where a leopard is dozing, it’s tail hanging from the branch. As we watch, it stands up and walks around, and we get our first good glimpse of the last of the Big 5.

Within half an hour, we find another leopard. Again in a tree, but this time it jumps down and pads lazily across the track in between two jeeps parked ahead of us... so much for a rare
030030030

A male lion casually wanders by
sighting! We drive again the next day and Julius delivers us everything we’ve asked for... within the space of a few hours we see a pair of cheetah being chased by a lioness, a lioness and her cubs and a solitary male lion, who ambles along beside our truck. We all buzz from the excitement of seeing the big cats so close, and hope that our luck holds for the Crater...



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

031031
031

Close and personal with a cheetah
038038
038

A mother and her cubs


17th August 2009

First impressions
Photographs impressive and commentary thoughtful and sometimes amusing. You seem to dislike the commercial side of the tour, but as you say, they are probably very grateful for the tourist income. Keep up the good work and enjoy.
18th August 2009

Keep 'em coming
Hey Sweetheart Am loving your blogs and your photos are fabulous ... Paul and I are green with jealousy!! Keep safe and enjoy yourself. Looking forward to your next installment. Love Rachxxxx
19th August 2009

Thanks - glad you like it! I'm pretty pleased with the way it looks - especially the panoramic header. Deciding which photos to post is taking a long time though!
19th August 2009

Hey Rach, great to hear from you! Hope that you, Paul and your expanding brood are all well - I'm sure baby Charlotte more than matches my travels... probably for cost as well as happiness!! Have got a few more blogs to do to catch up on where I am now, so will try to give you something else to be jealous of! Went skydiving yesterday which was unbelievable... so amazing. Having the time of my life! Stay safe and keep in touch.
26th February 2010

MAGIC love the pictures!!!

Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 29; qc: 123; dbt: 0.1403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb