Serengeti Safari


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Serengeti National Park
March 3rd 2008
Published: March 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today we begin our break from work and head off on a safari organized by St Jude. Richard, Gemma’s husband, organises safaris for visitors to the school.

We set out first thing in the morning in 3 vehicles and headed to the Serengeti which took all day just to get there.

It was dusk by the time we arrived at the camp site. We saw a lot of animals on the way in and stopped at every one to have a closer look. We even saw a pair of young male lions snoozing on an anthill about 50 metre from the road.

The camp site was in the middle of the bush. It had flushing squat toilets and a shower bag hanging up in a small room which you had to ladle water up into. But first you had to ladle the water from a basin tap into a bucket. The water was cold but I still had two showers over the 3 days that we were there as it was so dusty. Most didn't have any showers, a lot of people had sponge baths using steri-wipes. There was a small shower block under construction but it wasn't finished.

The camp had 3 open caged rooms, two for eating in and one for the cooking. This was to keep the baboons and other wild animals out. There were a number of other groups camped there as well, and there was also quiet a few of other camping sites near by.

The tents are just set up on a lawn area surrounded by the bush. I was surprised as to how quiet the night was, as I was expecting a lot more noise. We heard a jackal bark near our tents on the first night and apparently a hyena was sniffing around the cooking cage the second night. In the morning we could see giraffes feeding about 50 metres away from our tents. We spent the next 2 days driving around the Serengeti’s dusty tracks that radiated out from the camping area. Each safari vehicle had an open top so we could all stand and get a better view.

We saw everything and more, including elephant, lions, wildebeest, zebra, buffalo, hippos, hyenas, jackals, dik diks, impala, Thompson gazelles, ostriches, heartbeest, warthogs and a leopard as well as much much more. Most of the animals were very close to the road and easy to see. In fact a few of us commented that it was almost like they were posing for the camera.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Me beside the hippo poolMe beside the hippo pool
Me beside the hippo pool

This was one of the very few places in the Serengeti where you are allowed to get out of the safari vehicles. We estimated that there was over 150 hippos in the pool.
Sad HyenaSad Hyena
Sad Hyena

This hyena's cub had been hit by a car and she was having trouble leaving the body. She kept coming back to chase the vultures away.
A big poser A big poser
A big poser

This elephant wander up very close to our vehicles just so we could take his photo.


18th March 2008

Hippos in the pool
150 in the pool and 1 standing on the rocks beside huh Sog? Just caught up with your travelblog stuff...looks amazing!! We're at the twilight of our Vietnam trip now wth only a few more days to go. Will post some pics to the blog when I get home so you can see where we've been too....How about bringing the family up to Mackay when you get back and we can compare adventures....oh and take a shower mate. Cheers Kel

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb