Trek Day 6 - All the way down again...


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Mount Kilimanjaro
September 15th 2011
Published: November 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 6 - Horombo Huts to Marangu Gate 3721m - 1905m
Walking distance: 20.8 km / 12.92 miles
Walking time: 5 hours
Descent: 1816 m

On the final day we woke to brilliant bright sunshine with the cloud layer hugging the landscape below us. The previous days challenge seemed a distant memory and we were now looking forward to getting off the mountain to have our first shower in 6 days.

After our last breakfast we all gathered for the porter tipping ceremony. It is obligatory to tip the team of porters, cooks, waiters and guides who make it possible to reach the summit; without them we certainly wouldn't have made it and the low wages they are earning do not reflect the hard and dangerous work they do, and always with a friendly "Jambo!" (Hi!).

When everyone gathered we realised it was the first time we had seen the whole team together. Little had we realised there were so many as other than the main guides who walked with us everyday and the waiters who served dinner we seldom saw the behind-the-scene men. In total there was about 30 men!

The group started with a song
Porters DancePorters DancePorters Dance

The Ports performed a song and dance to congratulate us.
and dance which although in Swahili was surprisingly catchy and we would find ourselves singing it over the next few days. Each group leader was then given their tips to distribute and we said our thanks before beginning the final walk down to the gate.

The weather remained sunny for the entire day and so allowed us to see the landscape we missed seeing on the way up due to the low cloud. The view was stunning with numerous smaller mountains, wild flowers and strange trees. It was a long and gradual downhill walk as we descended 1816m over about 21km. We both agreed that walking downhill was more effort than going up as you put a lot more shocks through your body.

Around 5 hours later we finally reached the gate after 6 days in which we climbed 3990m over 36km and then descended over the same ground. What better way to celebrate than with a Kilimanjaro beer!

The enormity of what we achieved didn't immediately sink in we were more interested in our first shower in six days. Once showered and in clean clothes we celebrated with a meal in our comfy hotel and really had a chance to allow the adventure we had completed to sink in.

The amazing adventure was over, we said our goodbyes to our fellow trekkers who were flying home but we were off on our second adventure, safari in the Serengeti.



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

TippingTipping
Tipping

Each section of the Portering group recieved their tips following the song and dance
Horombo HutsHorombo Huts
Horombo Huts

Dan's boots getting an airing
Strong ManStrong Man
Strong Man

Horombo Huts in the background
Strong ManStrong Man
Strong Man

And Kili!
Maundi Crater EdgeMaundi Crater Edge
Maundi Crater Edge

We detoured off the route down to visit a small crater
The Team!The Team!
The Team!

All safely back at the gate.


8th November 2011

W E L L D O N E ! ! !
Epic journey guys, congratulations on a safe and successful trip!

Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0886s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb