Trek Day 2 - First view of Kili


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Mount Kilimanjaro
September 10th 2011
Published: September 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Wakey, wakeyWakey, wakeyWakey, wakey

Tea in bed.
Day 2 - Mandara Huts - Horombo Huts (3700 m/12140 ft)
Walking distance: 12 km/7.2 miles
Walking time: 5-7 hours
Altitude gain: 1000 m/3280 ft

We woke early the next day to a hot cup of ginger tea and more low mist and cloud with no sign of the sun we were expecting at the lower levels of the mountain.

We set off after breakfast continuing in rainforest which eventually changed to heath land after the first couple of hours. By this stage everyone was getting into the rhythm of the trek with the slow pace and regular breaks to regroup and go to the toilet. Natalie was an early favourite for the 'weakest bladder award' due to her multiple toilet breaks as she attempted to maintain her hydration.

The mist and light rain continued through to lunchtime when we were forced to huddle together whilst enjoying our meal. There had been a rumour of chicken and chips for lunch and amazingly that is exactly what we ate! Those cooks were geniuses and all the more amazing considering all the food and cooking gear is carried up the mountain by the porters!

Shortly after lunch we had
HutsHutsHuts

Cosy but nothing luxurious.
a reality check when we saw two people on stretchers suffering from altitude sickness being run down the mountain by porters. We later discovered that one of those unfortunately died from pulmonary oedema which really brought home the challenge and risks we were facing!

During the afternoon of the second day we we were supposed to see our first views of the two peaks of Kilimanjaro but the cloud prevented any such sight. We were still naive to what lay ahead.

We continued to gain altitude slowly, chatting and admiring the changing terrain; the forest was thinning into moor land with unusual trees and low shrubs. After a few more hours Horombo Huts came into view where we would spend the next two nights.

After registration we had a frustrating hours wait for a hut to be found... the Tanzanian's running the huts don't appear to be the most organised! We finally got a hut, put some warm clothes on and headed for the dining hut for a hot drink and a snack of popcorn. The wooden huts were basic but provided a mattress in bunk beds and storage space for luggage. The toilet blocks had running
Morning exerciseMorning exerciseMorning exercise

Doctor Alfred lead the pre walk stretch and warm -up
water but sadly not a sewage system to cope.

After dinner the cloud had lifted and we had our first sight of the summit bathed in moonlight... Kilimanjaro here we come!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Mandara Hut SignMandara Hut Sign
Mandara Hut Sign

2720 m above sea level. We were going to walk to Horombo Huts which are at 3720m.
Busy PathBusy Path
Busy Path

The path was narrow and the traffic of porters and walkers meant always keep left.
LunchLunch
Lunch

Cold and damp in the clouds
Horombo Huts in the distanceHorombo Huts in the distance
Horombo Huts in the distance

We still hadn't seen Kilimanjaro's summit due to the low cloud.


Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 80; dbt: 0.0992s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb