Kilimanjaro - Slowly Slowly


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Mount Kilimanjaro
December 29th 2009
Published: January 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Christmas over and Kilimanjaro climb done too. What an adventure! To give a snapshot. We climbed the Lemosho route which take 8 days and takes in rainforest, moonscape type terrain and steep steep climbs. This was all done “pole pole,” Swahili for slowly slowly which was necessary to deal with acclimatising to the altitude of 5,958m. It was also known as the wilderness route as not so many people use it so we were often the only group on the track.

Whoever has said that this is an easy mountain to climb has either never done it or is talking out of their hole!!! We had very good conditions throughout but this climb was harder than any other mountain, triathlon or marathon I have done! Rach was awesome and I was knocked away by her grit and determination on the last leg to the top of the mountain, where I succumbed to vomiting for five minutes and staggering to Uhuru Peak left and right as if drunk walking home from the pub on a Saturday night!

Climbing with the honeymooners Will and Sue was great and really made it for us, there were many laughs to be had although I’m not sure how much of a honeymoon it was, certainly a lack of business time had! But I know they are making up for it at The Tides and in Zanzibar now.

The climb could be labelled as a mini detox as it involved 8 days of no alcohol, consuming three to five litres of water and eating three healthy meals a day including some amazing soups and lashings of African tea and hot water. All coupled with about five to eight hours walking each day, and a mammoth 15 hours on the summit and decent day and night.

A picture can tell a thousand words so instead of waxing on lyrical we have posted a selection to tell the story.

The day before Christmas Eve was spent having a good shower and scrub down and a celebratory meal with some chrimbo booze with Will and Sue at Kia Lodge. Something we had been looking forward to in the last few days. It was great!!

Christmas Eve now and after a nights of good food, drinks , hot showers and comfy bed it was goodbye to Will and Sue as they went off to go on a Safari and Rach and I headed to Uganda . …

ps Thanks to all that have sponsored us, much appreciated and those that haven't still not to late...


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb