Machame ~ After 4 Months


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Mount Kilimanjaro
September 5th 2007
Published: September 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Road to MachameThe Road to MachameThe Road to Machame

Illuminated by the gleaming Mt. Kilimanjaro
What a change 4 months can make….

As I sat on the short little wooden couch in this dimly painted blue living room at the orphanage house in Machame, the memories came flooding in and thoughts of amazment overwhelmed me with how God steps in and uses our lives to accomplish His plans. I remembered back to the first time I had entered the room a little over four months ago to hold a Bible Study, in this home, where I didn’t know anyone upon arrival but was welcomed in by all who were around.

We had the Northport group from Alabama here with us, and a primarily young group of first timers in the mission field. I had three young college girls walking with me during this particular day and Abigail by my side as my translator as we had set forth down the road in the misty rain of the Tanzanian morning up in this small quaint village on the hill slopes of Mt. Kilimanjaro. We began walking, passing out tracks and trying to set up studies along the way, when we came to the gate out front of this house in particular, not knowing it was an orphanage, talking to the man at the gate about studying the Bible and going in and beginning our first study of the day there. There was Mama Lima who ran the broken down little orphanage, along with those who worked there with her. Several men who were there working on the building at the time who all stopped and wanted to listen to the teaching of God’s word.

The girls wanted to watch me lead a study for the first time to get a feel for what to expect and I loved having the opportunity to teach, normally when leading around visitors we as missionaries try to step back a little to let the visitors enjoy the thrill of sharing the gospel, seeing the receptivity, and learning to share the word of God with everyone they come into contact with along the way. Seeing young excited faces as they study the Bible with someone and it changing their lives along with the one that they are studying with, this is an amazing and indescribable joy to watch!

We searched through the scriptures for over two hours that day, and seeing how it was
Brent Preaching at MachameBrent Preaching at MachameBrent Preaching at Machame

In Mama Lima's Living Room
raining and we would otherwise be walking up the muddy streets, I knew there was no place I would rather be! The rains began letting up, and yet the questions still kept a pouring out! One older man, that had come in late, and sat down quietly listening stopped me mid sentence as I was speaking and closing out the study and said he wanted to be baptized... So we were overjoyed with his decision to obey the truth with such pure and immediate longing to please God. We took a group picture in the house before leaving to remember the day and all began walking down the muddy roads towards the hill slopes that lead down to the river flowing off the mountain. We met up with the group brent was leading around the village on the way and they joined us in the hike down-hill. Remember it’s cold, drizzling rain, muddy, slippery, and still wet at the time, but nothing was going to keep us from that cold river water at the time. We had several girls, in dresses mind you, slipping and sliding falling to the ground repeatedly, including myself but it was worth every bump along the way! Even little Emily took mama Lima by the hand and helped her down the embankment trail to get to see the baptism. A little tired and a lot wet, as you finally got there, the scene was breathtaking and made you gasp. Glorious in all respects, feeling at one with the surroundings of God’s glorious work, hearing the rustling waters flow through the river sliding down from the mountain side… There was more silence in this place than I had ever heard. We Felt God’s presence all around. We stood at the waters edge while Elijah stepped in the water to baptize this man, and Brent stood near by to make sure the rushing waters didn’t sweep them down stream. It was amazing! I was so glad that these young girls, my Emily included were there that day! To be witness to what God can do, if you are just willing to step out and obey His call to go, to tell, and to teach His good news!

These were my thoughts as I sat in the same room for the second time, just 4 months later as the church is now meeting in this small
The Machame OrphanageThe Machame OrphanageThe Machame Orphanage

mama Lima's Home
orphanage home on the first dau of the week, to worship our Lord and Savior! The church in Machame began to grow, and to establish itself in the foothill of this small village town, and Mama Lima had graciously given the room there for their use each week, because of the love she saw there that day in June down at the River. She herself is not yet a Christian, but she saw something special, and she is studying and searching for the truth, and doesn’t want to let it slip away. The 6 Christians meeting there quickly grew to 10, and then to 12 and on to 15. The young new babes in Christ are spreading God’s word to everyone they know. There is much evangelism going on in Machame. So much so that we cant even get to each and every study that is there already waiting for someone to come. The church in Machame has met together every Sunday since that week 4 months ago, right here in this very room.

Sitting there, trying to take that all in, trying to grasp how amazing God’s plan truly is for his children, seeing how one little study, one little stop at the gate, one little track in your hand, giving of yourself for just one day out in the rain in the remotest of areas, can be the seed that one day eventually sprouts forth and brings in a great harvest for the kingdom. Not of anything that I have done, but that the glory of God shines through in knowing how He can use the simplest of things to fulfill His amazing love! There have been up to 40 at a time worshipping there in Machame on any given Sunday ever since that first trip up here. There had been studies done prior to our coming, and work done tilling the fields in that area for quite a long time, you never know what will come of the seeds you plant or when they will begin to break through the soil, I just felt so blessed to be able see the growth and development of the Lord’s church in the small sweet quiet village of Machame, while I am here working and serving with so many great opportunities in this short life that I have been given.

Brent taught Bible class that morning and Preached an amazing lesson on the growth of the church and Kelly led the Lord’s Supper. They are all so young in their faith, growing in Christ with a zeal and a precious love for God and desire to be pleasing in the sight of our Lord. There is much room for growth and in time, that will come. Brent has scheduled a seminar up there for next week, where there will be some great preaching and teaching of the Gospel, covering the basics of the church, to more firmly establish this young congregation and encourage their continual growth.

May God so Richly Bless you in all that you do!
~Julie Richardson





Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

Brent playing with Enoch...Brent playing with Enoch...
Brent playing with Enoch...

One of the little Orphans who lives there
On the funny side...On the funny side...
On the funny side...

A home-made weight lifting bar... from concrete and coffee cans
While the kids played ball outside...While the kids played ball outside...
While the kids played ball outside...

With this rolled up buch of plastic tied together with string...for a soccer ball.
The grave in the yard out frontThe grave in the yard out front
The grave in the yard out front

It's still strange to me to see family graves in the yards of the homes...
A nearby Peace LilyA nearby Peace Lily
A nearby Peace Lily

planted near the home.
The roads leading down the Mountain...The roads leading down the Mountain...
The roads leading down the Mountain...

This is a really good road in the area!
Back at Moshi...Back at Moshi...
Back at Moshi...

Mary and her girls are still faithfully attending services each week traveling in from Boma Ngombe to worship with us in Moshi.
Julie & DorcasJulie & Dorcas
Julie & Dorcas

We just gave Dorcas her first Bible, because she has been going and taking her mom's bible from her each week to read it and follow along during worship.
I finished my second QuiltI finished my second Quilt
I finished my second Quilt

This time out of African Congas (Thank you to Shasta for sharing a special gift and teaching me to quilt this past year)


9th January 2012
The Church of Christ at Machame

i want your support in this lords work.
My Dear Brother and Sister in Christ Love Greetings of love, peace and grace be to you and you’re the elders of the Church of Christ. In the most mighty name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ Dear Brother and Sister I request your kind permission to introduce me, I am very much glad to It is my greatest privilege to introduce myself, as my name is S. Barna Boss I am Evangelist. Church of Christ (Roma-16:16) Servants of Christ. my father is doing this work from last 20 years now i am continuing this lord work in my area with 2 congregations.( Registered Charitable Society In India) My father choose me I am right person to do this lords work. Now I am gathering 27, co-workers preachers and doing the lords work successfully under 39 congregations. We are preaching the good news and attend to social works. Due to my father age the work is stopped last 4 years.(Luke 15:24) from 1 year back i am take this great (job) lords work with my hands. (2 Corinthians 5:17) Even we don’t have Our Bicycles also.Please pray me Bicycles for our Co-Workers, We are in Some Churches sea coast area and very slum area and Gospel full Development Project us. We don’t have any support from anywhere. Our main aim is to develop the Church of Christ in our area. In our surrounding areas there is so many other denominations. We are doing this work in India. Indian people are not converted speedily (John-4:24). Here all are Hindus and so many Hindus idol worship pings to snakes, cows, pigs. I am working hard in this center of other denominations and Hindus. If anyone lift our work it will be grown up. We are sometime arranging camping’s, (Mark16:15, 16) due to financial problem we are unable to arrange School of preaching classes. We are running Bible classes weekly two days with 35 students (Matthew28:20). If you want any details I am ready to give you. On that time we are giving snack only not giving meals. We are not daring to add new members. (Teaching School of preaching). So many persons want to join this but we are not daring. Because unable to give food. If monthly support is there it will be good and completed two years Teachings. We are giving two years course certificates also. I want to run these Bible Teaching School of preaching classes weekly. I.E. Monday to Friday. And giving to monthly stifund. So I humbly request you please help me in this regard. I hope someone help to this mails. Please understand these of our needs and send your help and monthly support, kindly prayers for my Gospel and social work. Please pray for my work continue. i want your support in this lords work. Dear Brother and Sister. Finally we need your prayers. Please prayer for us and for our Gospel and social activities .We are all remembering all of you in our Daily prayers. We are anxiously awaiting your loving and favorable reply. Yours in Christ’s Love Evangelist (Barna Boss) Sea coast areas Churches of Christ, Bro, S, Barna Boss (Evangelist) Church of Christ 18th Ward 47-2-40 W.G.Dist ( A.P ) S.India - 534260 Email:- truth_1980cc@yahoo.co.in Cell:- 0091-9396-7475-76 Thanks & Regards Bro, S, Barna Boss (Evangelist) Our Church is small; our hearts are big. Visitors are always welcome.

Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 127; dbt: 0.2085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb