Sunday 4 February - Day 7: Karanga Camp (3963) to Barafu Camp (4640m)


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Mount Kilimanjaro
February 4th 2018
Published: February 12th 2018
Edit Blog Post



Sunday 4 February - Day 7: Karanga Camp (3963) to Barafu Camp (4640m)



After a good night’s rest and breakfast, we set off on our walk to Barafu camp at 4640m. The climb took us across desolate scree slopes with no vegetation around us at all. It was a tough steep walk made more difficult by the altitude.



Adam was feeling better, with the extra Diamox helping. Altitude sickness is so unpredictable. I noticed Kerry had a very moist cough – damn! I was so disappointed for he but knew she was on a mission and she was one, very determined lady. Love that!!



On arriving at camp, we eat and spend the afternoon resting as we prepare for a long night and day ahead. It was always important to keep hydrated and warm, with the guides constantly reminded us by saying “sippy sippy”!!!.



We had an early dinner and then tried to get some sleep from 7.30pm as we were getting up at 10.30pm for a 11.30 pm departure to start the climb to the summit.



Each night we had a briefing from the 3 guides and had out VO2 Max taken along with our pulse. We also had to record on a table how we felt re attitude, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, ability to eat etc. They monitored us very closely. Tonight’s briefing was extra important as our ascent was going from 4630m – Uhuru Peak at 5895m. Were we prepared? How did we all feel? Were our legs ready? Did they have enough strength in them to get us to the top? I know one thing for sure, I was mentally ready and raring to go. I had wanted to do this for many years.



We all packed our day packs ready for the climb, filling our water containers etc. Yes we were ready!!!!!!!!!!!!



Distance covered: 3km / 1.9mi



Approx. time taken: 3 hours


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb