Safari - Hunting with the Hadzabe


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Lake Eyasi
July 11th 2012
Published: July 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We are up at 5.30am the visit the Hadzabe bushmen and go hunting with them. We pick up Christopher our guide, and head into the widerness. We find the Hadzabe men gathered round a small fire under a rock overhang smoking what smells suspiciously like electric puha. On the other side of the rock the women and children are gathered. Once they have finished their smoke we set off with the men on a hunt. We are apparently looking for a Dik Dik shot the previous evening. After about an hour we find an arrow with blood & hair on it and 30 minutes later the Dik Dik is found. Yours truly is assigned the task of getting a fire going with a drill stick which, surprisingly, I manage to do. The dikdik is then thrown on the fire to singe the hair off after which the animal is gutted and the heart, liver and kidneys are set on the fire. At this point I have an idea of what is coming and sure enough it's not long before we are being offered grilled kidney. With everyone else refusing I am obliged to give it a go - I have had better breakfasts in my time. The rest of the animal is taken back to be distributed amongst the tribe. I hope that's not all they caught as a Dikdik won't go far.

And that is my safari. From here it is a 5 hour drive back to Moshi via arusha to drop the rest of the party off. Looking forward to a hot shower and a cold beer but the power was off at the Zebra hotel so had to make do with a cold shower. Did manage to get a cold beer with a Mutton Jalfreezi at the IndoItaliano restaurant, both went down a treat, helped down with a cheese naan.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb