Back to work


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
March 8th 2008
Published: March 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The LaundryThe LaundryThe Laundry

Joy gives Vumillia a hand to carry (African style) the huge load of laundry we had after the safari.
We spent all day today working again, the carpenters finished all the work that the school had expected of them. They quickly brought out a wish list of additional items to be constructed, so they could take advantage of the skills of the apprentices. These included the design and construction of cupboard doors for the large kitchen in the dinning hall, book trolleys for the library and shelving for the office. A lot of time was also spent training Alfonse the “wood fundi” (Swahili for carpenter) on how to make and assemble these items after the team leaves in 4 days.

That evening we went out to a restaurant for dinner. The restaurant was in a small dusty side street and was run by two Muslim brothers. I think the food was Pakistani and was quite nice, however we sat at tables on one side of the dirt street while our meal was cooked on an open BBQ on the other side of the street. It was certainly an experience.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Book TrolleysBook Trolleys
Book Trolleys

Bob sanding some of the components for the book trolleys to be used in the library.
Cupboard DoorsCupboard Doors
Cupboard Doors

Terry and Cameron assisting Alfonse make his first cupboard screen door.
Covering the text booksCovering the text books
Covering the text books

Jane covering one of the 400 text books. The Tanzanian Government requires all text books used in all schools to be covered. We thought it was an absolute waste of time and effort, but it had to be done to enable the school to pass inspection.


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 59; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb