Waiting for the Dhow that never comes.


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Mafia Island
March 15th 2007
Published: March 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We've spent most of the last week standing at the end of the garden with a pair of binoculars gazing out to sea. We're waiting for our Dhow which is coming from Kisiju with piles of building materials on board, the tides have all been neap so it hasn't been able to sail! As there is no phone communication we don't know when it will come or if it's able to leave on a higher neap, there is however a spring tide in the early hours of friday, so.....................fingers crossed!

Still no photos, have found the camera lead but, the travelblog site or our isp won't allow us to upload to this site, will try when i am in Dar next week.

Very hot at the moment, the rains are trying to start, we get little bursts, lets hope they hold off until we go on leave at the end of the month!

Hope you're all well, see you soon!



Advertisement



16th March 2007

Snakes and the Rains.
Following your adventures with great interest. As you recall i mentioned Ionides connection with your Island, would be fascinating to hear if any of your new neighbours have any memories of his visits. You mentioned the coming rains, well with the rains cometh the snakes! Being cold blooded, they often seek out dark hard surfaces to bask upon and re-heat. We often find snakes lying in the middle of tar roads, warming up after a down poor, roads warm up considerably faster than the surrounding bush. Would be really intersting to hear about what you and your friends come across. Also any detail about the Islands specific Flora and Fauna would be fascinating. You may well find that promoting your business through the many Eco-Tourism publications could prove to be a canny move. Well, keep up the hard work and on days when your spirits may be low, remember the wise words of Ralph Hodgson, "Some things have to be believed to be seen." Bon Chance!

Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb