Weekend in Lushoto, Usambara mountains


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Lushoto
November 15th 2010
Published: November 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi

we went camping this weekend to Lushoto, in the Usambara mountains. We stayed in Irente Cliff View camping, in the famous Irente Viewpoint. From the viewpoint you see the village of Mazinde almost 1,000 meters below the vast Maasai Plains beyond.


Lushoto is a leaf highland town mixes pines and eucalyptus with tea plantations, coffee plantations, banana plantations ando there tropical foliage. Its the main settlement in the Usambara and the base for hiking and trekking.

IMPORTANCE OF USAMBARA MOUNTAINS (Lushoto)

1. The Usambara Mountains have several eco-tourism attractions that can be experienced by a variety of means.
2. With a high level of biological, hydrological and meteorological activity, along with a rich social history, the Usambara Mountains are home to many researchers.
3. The East and West Usambara Mountains have substantial endemic, rare and threatened floral and fauna. Among these is the rare Usambara violet flower.
4. Within the Usambara Mountains is the large historical Amani Botanical Garden. Established in 1902, its 360 ha. is home to more than 400 tree species, including spices and fruit trees, medical, timber and ornamental trees from various parts of the world).
5. The Mountains has covered by green vegetation which makes the area to cool and easy for hiking and trekking.
6. The Usambara Mountains are tourist friendly, though still unspoiled and authentic.


We walked from the camping site to Lushoto village enjoying the local village and villagers specially the children who even handed us some flowers. It was beautiful.
From Lushoto we headed to Mzuku waterfall waking though the rain forest and always enjoying the locals. On Saturday is hand wash day so the contrast of the green with the multi coloring clothes spread over drying was incredible.

It was raining almost all the way but it was a incredible walk;
From the waterfall we headed back to Lushoto to walk around the village and from there we went back to the camping to enjoy the stunning sunset from Irente viewpoint. After that, Ian had prepared and 5 star meal for all of us and we had a lovely evening.

We were lucky it did not rain during the night. On sunday morning we had breakfast and packed and were ready to start our way back to stop in Pangani River camping to BBQ but we could not as we saw this local girl, Regina with terrible wounds on her neck so we decided to help her; we asked her mum for permission first as when she saw me wearing the loves she disappeared but we could not leave her like that; i ma not a doctor but it looked pretty serious to me. The mum agreed and then we relied that it was not just a matter of cleaning the wounds; i checked her back and legs and it looked bad specially the toes and feet. we told her s had to take her to a hospital so Sandra and I arranged for a taxi and we took her while the others could finish the packing.

we spent a couple of hours in Lushoto hospital; I payed a medical insurance for the entire family for the year; they are too poor and left her like that cause they could not afford paying the bill; I checked her medical history and it seems she suffered of severe malnutrition.

I spoke to the doctor and agreed with me it was fungus, Tinea, Scabies and Ginger's; the infection had spread to her eyes and she was all covered on it.
they gave her antibiotics, some skin lotion, drops and something else.
I am supposed to call him this evening to make sure they took her back to hospital today.

From there we starting driving back enjoying the landscape. We sopped at Pangani River camping for 10 minutes and then near Moshi to enjoy the view of Kili as it was only half covered by the clouds.

A wonderful weekend!

Love




Additional photos below
Photos: 149, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



15th November 2010

Sounds great..lovely photos...we went there 2 years ago..so beutiful!! Ypu are always on my mind.xx
16th November 2010

u r also always on my mind xxxxxxxxxx

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0708s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb