Going home


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
August 27th 2006
Published: August 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This is the last day of our holiday in East Africa. A driver from Tamarind took us safely to the airport. We left very early, 10 o’clock to avoid any rush for our 13.35 departure. We were at the airport 10.50 and checked in without fuss. With 50 kg luggage between us we had to pay overweight to Dar es Salaam. But Tsh 10.000 (ca 50 NOK) was reasonable, we felt. However, we did not see any flights scheduled for 13.35 on the handwritten board just behind the check in counter. Well passed the security checks we discovered our boarding passes did not have the flight number noted on our ticket, PW 731 but simply 452. Shortly after 12 noon flight 452 was called for and we boarded an ATR 72-200, a twin-turboprop with 72 seats. According to Wikipedia Precision air owns 2 of these aircraft manufactured by the Italian-French manufacturer Avions de Transport Régional. All seats were taken, one man was even asked to move elsewhere. Presumably he was an employee of the company. In the end, we were all seated and both we and our luggage arrived in Dar es Salaam one full hour before we were supposed to leave Zanzibar.

We quickly proceeded through security to check in for international flights only to learn that check in for our 23.15 KLM flight to Amsterdam would start at 20.00. With nowhere to stay or eat within the check-in area we quickly decided to take a taxi downtown. We had seen an ad for the Kilimanjaro Hotel downtown Dar and decided to go there for lunch.

A lady at the reception advised us to choose the Oriental restaurant for a good selection of vegetarian dishes. What elegant surroundings to end our stay in East Africa. We had a delightful meal of Thai vegetable curry. The place is highly recommended if you are looking for a very nice place to have lunch or dinner.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb