First Steps in Dar


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
May 7th 2012
Published: May 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It’s been about a week and a half since we arrived here in Dar and so much has been experienced so far. Since we got here a couple days before our professor and all the other students, we had a lot to figure out on our own. Finding the cheapest place to buy food, finding what food to buy, how to go about taking the various forms of transportation (the hectic three-wheel ‘bajaj’ being our favorite so far), and how much each of those forms cost are just a few of the many things facing us those first few days. The place we are staying at is an actual house on the grounds of a Catholic guesthouse. Father Aloysius, along with the various brothers and sisters, run the place, and they are so wonderful. They serve us breakfast every morning and clean our house/sheets every three days. They are patient with our attempts at speaking Swahili (which Levi is really amazing at…) and some have taken it upon themselves to personally further our Swahili vocabulary.

Levi has succeeded at making rosella, which is a type of juice made of rosella flowers and sugar (called karkade in Sudan) and we made chapattis together, which tasted amazing! All the interns are here except one, and we are starting to get into the swing of things here. Pictures are en route.

Fun fact of the week: Lisa and Levi have been dating for nine whole months and four days!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



7th May 2012

Love from Itano
How great to get news, all the way over here in Tokushima!! Dad is crying in the kitchen as he is listening to me read and making poached eggs for breakfast, with love and pride as your first steps unfold there in Dar....me too. The pictures are amazing (where is the one of Levi with short hair??), and we will hold them in our hearts as we continue to hold you two before God in our prayers. We love you so much. Bless those bare feet. Bev (for Rick too)
8th May 2012

hip hop
So awesome! I am mentally envisioning all of the sweet little details of your trip so far. It sounds like you blonde hair blue eyes babes are fitting right in :) you must teach me all your new African ways someday. That juice sounded delightful. love the pictures!!!
9th May 2012

Good to hear from you
Hi Lisa and Levi, Congratulations on arriving in Dar, dating 9 months and 4 days (or however many days now)! It is good to hear from you and your first impressions. Blessings as you begin your internships. Love you, Angela
11th May 2012

motown
My email said you guys posted something new, but i don't see anything! Hope your having a great adventure right now and getting some Africa in your veins.I'm on my couch eating a sandwich :) California is really pretty right now and later i'm going to go plant some tomatoes, cucumber, and peppers in the dirt. Love and miss!!

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0682s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb