First weekend in Dar. now what?


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
December 18th 2011
Published: January 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

PUSH had their Christmas Party over at the George and The Dragon. Shots were had. Jello shots. Thankfully, after a long week of 12+ hour days, we stayed long enough to grab a bite, a few pints and head off home. On a business positive note, made the acquaintance of the managing director of PUSH mobile, who has a keen interest in social networks and social media. We agreed to talk later this week.

Saturday, tried to sleep in, but just couldn’t do it. Had a lovely breakfast at BlackTomato, directly across from the apartment. Internet was intermittent, along with the power outages, so getting a decent signal was a problem. Decided to head up north to do some sightseeing.

A little historical tourism. What the map showed to be some 30km north of Dar, ended up being closer to 70. Slow going, traffic both ways, with the occasional third lane materializing in between the north/south lanes. Great idea, but they forgot to put up lights showing which way the traffic was to go… resulting in comical near accidents as columns of cars heading either way would suddenly come to screeching halts. But we made it. Drove through the down and down to a hotel down on the waterfront, beautiful marble atrium, but no one home, so we drove back into town, only to find there was a tourism office right at the other side.

A bit of negotiating by the two MBAs resulted in what seemed at the time a good price to have a guide show us around the old German East Africa capital, Bagamoyo.

Not only was this a German settlement, but the French, Portuguese and Muslims all called it home at some point. Sordid events in human history took place at this location as you can imagine would occur at a port location with favorable trade winds to carry ships across to the Arab peninsula and the subcontinent. Look it up, i’m not writing about it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb