On the way back to Dar


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Centre » Selous Game Reserve
January 12th 2009
Published: May 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After a leisurely breakfast we got ready to drive back. So it was going to be the two-hour track again to the main road. But on the way down, we hadn’t noticed there was a turn on the way (Many parts of Tanzania are so sparsely populated that there is only one little dirt track for hours and nothing else, no crossings, nothing). Well, so went straight without noticing, as it was in the middle of a village and no signs in this direction. But when the track became more and more overgrown, we thought this can’t be right. We could have made it somehow this way, crossing the river on a little ferry and coming back up again, but the girls were all for turning back to take the way we came. When we got to the crossroad we had missed, the safari guide and the chef of the German couple just arrived with their Land Cruiser (they had dropped of the couple at the airstrip by the gate), so they escorted us back to the main road. But the raised so much dust of the road, that even with a fair distance, we arrived with a nice new tan - but it wasn’t to last, as it was only the red soil.
The tarmac road goes up the coast, but it’s a fair distance from the sea and again there are no turn-offs and no accessible beaches. So we had to go right up to the outskirts of Dar and turned off the Kilwa Road to approach the South Beach from the other side. Though the sea was a little rough and unusually amounts of sea weed, it was still a brilliant finish to an amazing weekend.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Scary bridge crossingScary bridge crossing
Scary bridge crossing

Despite not looking very stable, there were some nails sticking out as well...
My picture of the dying monkey made it onto the front page of a Tanzanian newspaperMy picture of the dying monkey made it onto the front page of a Tanzanian newspaper
My picture of the dying monkey made it onto the front page of a Tanzanian newspaper

Rita went to the papers with the story and my picture...


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb