A day trip to Manyoni & kilimatinde (1)


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Centre » Dodoma
August 1st 2012
Published: August 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a long day with World Vision we had an early start, 7.30am, heading to Manyoni in the Rift Valley. The day had been organised by Ernest. We set off once again in Jo’s Land Cruiser, Alex driving, Ernest as navigator, Pam, Lynne & Ester in the back seat and the “kids” Evelyn, Jess and Matika in the back on bench seats, with the spare tyre.

The drive from Dodoma to Manyoni is about 125klm and takes approx 90 minutes on good roads so the trip was ok. When we arrived at Manyoni Ernest directed us to the Cathedral, a large impressive stone building built with the help of money from Germany & Liverpool in the UK. We were met at the Cathedral by the church ‘Warden’s & Vestry’ (our apologies for not remembering names but we have met so many people in our 9 days). We were shown into the Cathedral where introductions were made, good to have Alex, Pam & Ernest as it was in Swahili. We then had a guided tour of the Cathedral and its surrounds. We met the teacher & children who use the Cathedral foyer as a classroom and we were treated to a song, they love to sing. We were shown the new accommodation wing that they hope will encourage visitors, the new yet incomplete dispensary (Elizabeth, a pharmacist from Germany, is trying to finish the building as they had one doctor and dispensary for 1.2 million people.) We were then shown the land next to the Cathedral where a two story school is planned and the mud bricks that the congregation has started to stack as they are made.

Our day at the Cathedral ended with a great lunch and a presentation of the proposed school plans, plus some prayers that they may organize finance.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Cathedral ChildrenCathedral Children
Cathedral Children

The children who use the Cathedral foyer as a classroom sang for us
Friends at the CathedralFriends at the Cathedral
Friends at the Cathedral

These are the people we met at the Cathedral
School PlansSchool Plans
School Plans

We were presented with plans for the new school to be built on site next to the Cathedral
Lynne, Evelyn & JessLynne, Evelyn & Jess
Lynne, Evelyn & Jess

Picture taken in front of a truck that help deliver the stone for the Cathedral, it was left where it died on it's last delivery.


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb