Atbara to Khartoum - Day 50!


Advertisement
Sudan's flag
Africa » Sudan » North » Khartoum
November 2nd 2007
Published: November 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 50!

While breaking camp we saw a flock of sand grouse fly over us - an evocative sight, really reinforcing the fact that we are in the tropics and getting nearer the equator. Off south on the toll road to Khartoum we stopped briefly to look at the pyramids of Meroe. We never stopped the cars’ engines as we were besieged by hassling touts on their camels wanting money and biros. Not really the best way to attract the tourist we feel.

Our next objective was The Sixth Cataract, rapids in the Nile some 60 miles north of Khartoum. With the help of GPS navigation, verbal directions and a lot of luck we managed to find the right track to the Cataract where we found that the tourist infrastructure was in its birth pains. Lots of locals trying to flog us boat rides through the cataract but instead we just stood on the bank and looked at what, in then event, was a non-event. Just some large boulders in the middle of the river where the water flowed down a bit faster.

After a picnic lunch under a spreading acacia we resumed our journey to Khartoum. The road was good but soon became built up and traffic density increased till we drove over the Blue Nile, eventually finding the Horizon Hotel, adequate but expensive for what was offered. It is run by Indians and we enjoyed a curry in the hotel before collapsing into bed. This alcohol-free existence is no joke!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

6th Cataract of the Nile6th Cataract of the Nile
6th Cataract of the Nile

A little disappointing


Tot: 0.312s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0703s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb