Before leaving…Update on a few stories!


Advertisement
South Sudan's flag
Africa » South Sudan » Upper Nile » Pagak
July 18th 2008
Published: July 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Mi 'oficina-residencia'Mi 'oficina-residencia'Mi 'oficina-residencia'

Lejos del mundanal ruido...

If you followed the blog, you will recognize some of these stories…

1.
Dwaich, the gigolo driver, was allowed to live, and no limb was cut. The local court met in public audience to talk about the girl’s lost virginity, and Dwaich family agreed to pay 8 cows (around $1,200, depending on the cow) and to take care of the girl if she turns out to get pregnant.

Salomonic deal? Well, apparently, no one cares about the public humiliation for this woman. Virginity is deeply prized here because…you can get more cows at marriage. When one of the non locals expressed outrage at this, the answer was short and cold: ‘It’s our culture’.

2.
After the Maiwut Commissioner looted the WFP warehouse, stealing 500 metric tons of food to distribute among 2,000 people, and of course, most of those people not receiving any of that food, WFP sent a letter to the State Governor and demanded the payment of the value of all that food by the Commissioner and the SSRRC.

The Commissioner has just been removed from his post. But of course, he is not going to pay.

3.
The Pagak children won’t have
Regresare a hacer la tesis aqui??Regresare a hacer la tesis aqui??Regresare a hacer la tesis aqui??

....la respuesta, en unos meses...
to learn sitting on the mud the rest of the year. Most of them are know receiving their lessons at the Pagak Way Station, which will not receive any more refugees until the rainy season is over, in October. Way to go, Junko!

4.
Boy-George’s father-in-law is in town. He demanded our friend to pay the pending eight cows for marrying his daughter.

Boy-George is now ‘working extra hours’ at CARE, which means he stays here watching tv until it is late and his in-law is sleeping…



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



22nd July 2008

Saludos
Mi estimado Inkalover, que bueno ver todos estos sitios tan interesantes que has conocido y también debes haber contactado gente también interesantisima. También me parece super chevere ver que todavía andas la gorra que te regalé...jeje la super gorra. Bueo mi hermano te envio un abrazo y espero que termines tu viaje con mucho exito. Saludos Lex

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb